Pool controls

2,716 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MrJonMan
cena05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the process of buying a house with a pool and unfortunately I don't have knowledge about pools. I saw that the control equipment was old and rusted out. If I wanted to upgrade it and possibly control the pool, spa and heater from my phone via a WiFi controller is that possible and does anyone have any recommendations? TIA.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We're about to build a pool. The builder uses OmniLogic by Hayward.

We'll be first time pool owners so I can't speak to the quality.

https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/res-in-ground/res-automation
jswags
AG
I have a pool with the Hayward OmniLogic equipment. I can operate everything from my phone. No issues.
nhamp07
AG
If it is Jandy equipment you would use iAqualink. All the major manufacturers of pool equipment have that capability.
agnerd
AG
Just remember the baseline you're comparing to. Pair of these came with my pool:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/3417/ELEC-T104.html

When one went out, it was simple enough for me to replace by myself. The $80 price to replace was way better than my friend that paid $900+installation to replace his control unit when it went out. I can't turn mine on and off with my phone, but otherwise it turns on and off automatically like my friend's.
Sims
AG
My old school time dial even has a temp setting to turn on for freezing weather.

That's a whole lot more reliable than me getting on my phone when it's cold to turn the pool on.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
Flashdiaz
AG
really? I would have thought all new systems had freeze protection.

mine is about 6 yrs older and isn't controlled by phone, rather it has a dedicated remote. It has freeze protection automatically built in.
Sims
AG
I didn't mean to imply they don't have the ability.

I just wanted to offer that I was pleased with and taken care of well by something a bit less than skynet.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
TexAg1987
Flashdiaz said:

really? I would have thought all new systems had freeze protection.

mine is about 6 yrs older and isn't controlled by phone, rather it has a dedicated remote. It has freeze protection automatically built in.
I also have this. While I can't operate via phone, the wireless remote is very helpful.

I wired some outdoor lights in the pool side cabana to it as well. I can turn on/off the pool, cleaner, pool lights, cabana lights, salt cell. It has timers you can set for the lights, pump and cleaner, etc.
It has more outputs so that you could control valves, heater, etc.

Won't have a pool without this set up again. Not sure having it on my phone would be any easier.

Remote is waterproof, so you can bring it by the pool if you want.

Hayward Pro Logic, I believe it is called.
MPython43
I own a large pool service company and have for many years. I only tell you that so you know I have some idea what I'm talking about.

Jandy iAquaLink is the answer.

Hayward and Pentair are distant 2nd on controls.

In general with pool equipment in terms of quality and durability, Jandy and Pentair are tier 1 and Hayward is tier 2.

For controls, Jandy has always done it best.
MrJonMan
AG
iAquaLink is what I put in on our pool about 5yrs ago when we bought the house. We already had electronic controls but they were very outdated.

Replaced myself, surprisingly not that bad since we already had a control panel. Just labeled all the wires and switched them over to new panel.
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.