Installing my own garage door opener

2,776 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggeeme
MrJonMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever install their own garage door opener?

Am I stupid for thinking I can/should?

Original openers have been on the fritz for awhile now but today, the double car side opener sort of exploded.

Both doors are solid. Paid a company last year to replace the spring on one and install new rollers on both.

So I would literally just be replacing current opener with a new one.

Also what brand should I go with? Right now they're just Genie chain drives from 2001.
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
DannyDuberstein
AG
I've done my own a few times (one about 15 years ago and another as recently as a few months ago). Latest one was replacing an ancient Overhead Door chain drive with a Chamberlain chain drive. Got one with wifi/app where I can check its status remotely, open/close remotely, and it can be set to send alerts to your phone (for example, you can have it send an alert to your phone if it stays open ___ long). Relatively quiet too.

The biggest key is starting with a well-functioning door, which it sounds like you have. As long as your door is working well, it's pretty straightforward.
cavscout96
AG
Replacing existing is easy.

Install from scratch fairly easy, but definitely a two man job

We went with a 24v DC belt drive model. Works when power is out. Quietest I've ever heard.

DeBoss
AG
Did 2 about 2 years ago. each took less than 2 hours. Go get the 1.5 or 2 hp whisper drives. The quiet ones are phenomenal. Super easy install too.
MrJonMan
AG
Yes, door and rollers are good. Openers, 18yrs old and turning to poo
Gary79Ag
AG
Belt drive over chain drive, period! Much quieter...
TwoMarksHand
AG
My dad is the farthest thing from a handyman. Never has complete sets of tools. Any tools that he does have are strung all over the house/garage/barn.

Last week he replaced his opener and the laser sights. Actually impressed me. I guess it wasn't too hard if he got it done.
Whoop Delecto
AG
GigEmAgs08
AG
I replaced mine last year on my own with no issues. Needed a ladder to set the motor on while mounting and then the truck is to align with the current mount in your ceiling. Wiring and such was easy. I got a new WiFi chain chamberlain from Home Depot. I think I would have preferred the belt version better in hind sight.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Broba Fett
Get at least 1/4 more hp than you think you need, I get 1/2 for s single car and 3/4 for a 2 car door.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I went all the way to 1 1/4 for my 2 car door. If you look someplace like Home Depot or Lowes online, pretty much every model from lowest HP to highest HP (sans wall mount) falls somewhere within the $150 to $250 to range. So my thinking was go all out on power and features (insert Tim the Toolman grunt), as the price difference from the least to most expensive is negligible for something you use multiple times every day of the week.
Garage Door Pro
Chamberlain is a solid brand. Try to buy a one piece rail system vs. a 3 piece rail(most commonly found at retail stores)

My company installs a lot of these and LiftMaster has a lifetime warranty on the belt and motor.
https://www.liftmaster.com/8355w-wifi-garage-door-opener/p/8355W

I strongly advise you not to use the ryobi opener
Chris Symons AGD
AggieBusDriver
AG
The 8500W is a great opener. Replaced our old one with that model about 6 months ago. The battery backup is an added peace of mind considering how many times my wife has been effectively locked in or out of our garage when I'm traveling for work. Nice to not have to field that call again.
--- www.AggieNetwork.com
Marvin_Zindler
AG
+ 1 for Chmaberlin/LiftMaster. Love MyQ.
91_Aggie
AG
I did it by myself 20 years ago.
Used a step ladder to hold it up high enough for me to connect it to ceiling.

relatively easy.
DallasAggies01
AG
I replaced one last summer. Pretty easy and straight forward. I will tell you that you need to use the sensors that come with the new opener as it won't work with the sensors that are in place. At least that was my experience. I tried using existing sensors because they were only installed a couple of years ago.
MrJonMan
AG
Planning to pick up the chamberlain in the next week or 2. The single car gets used daily by my wife, and it's still working (knock on wood) so I'm just being lazy about it.
Martin Cash
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

I replaced one last summer. Pretty easy and straight forward. I will tell you that you need to use the sensors that come with the new opener as it won't work with the sensors that are in place. At least that was my experience. I tried using existing sensors because they were only installed a couple of years ago.
Sensors are a royal pain. I duct taped mine together and taped them to the top of the opener.
sawemoffshort07
AG
Replacing existing is quite easy
aggeeme
If you are not married it will work. Read the directions, twice or three times. Somehow we installed ours backwards and nearly wound up in divorce court. I dont recommend it for couples.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.