Replacing A/C system now - thoughts on Daikin and warranty options?

8,035 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by V8Aggie
sdc177
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am likely going to get a 3 ton 16 SEER Daikin system to replace my 20 year old Trane 3 ton 12 SEER that has been having issues the last few years. I have a small 3/2/2 1608 sqft house near Lake Travis.

Heat pump: DZ16SA0361
Air Handler: ASPT37C14

I really wasn't familiar with Daikin until one of several companies giving me estimates proposed it. After a little research I think I'm good with this system. Any thoughts on Daikin in general?

My big concern is the warranty aspect. It comes with 12 year parts and 1 year labor. For $850 more I can get 12 labor and 12 year parts. And an additional $100 will make that warranty transferable. Is the 12/12 warranty worth it?
txag2008
AG
Nothing wrong with Daikan at all. They aren't as prevalent in the US as they are worldwide. I think that's starting to change though as they've been investing in the US big time the past 5yrs.
sdc177
AG
txag2008 said:

Nothing wrong with Daikan at all. They aren't as prevalent in the US as they are worldwide. I think that's starting to change though as they've been investing in the US big time the past 5yrs.
Yeah, they pretty much purchased the town of Waller, TX. I guess the warranty aspect is my biggest concern. Thoughts on that?
JP76
How much more was the trane replacement bid ?

https://www.furnacecompare.com/heat-pumps/daikin/reviews/
sdc177
AG
JP76 said:

How much more was the trane replacement bid ?

https://www.furnacecompare.com/heat-pumps/daikin/reviews/

Literally LOL. Did you know the Trane reviews are even worse on that site?

https://www.furnacecompare.com/heat-pumps/trane/reviews/
K188Ag
AG
Daikin is a Japanese company. They bought the US company Goodman a few years back. The unit you are looking at is probably very similar to what Goodman used to make.

The Trane residential units are made in Tyler, Tx, so its a good local made product.

I work for Trane, but on the commercial AC side. Good company.
The System
AG
I purchased two daikin units 6 months ago. I have a variable speed heat pump for the downstairs and a single stage heat pump for 2nd floor. I've been very pleased with both units so far.
JP76
K188Ag said:

Daikin is a Japanese company. They bought the US company Goodman a few years back. The unit you are looking at is probably very similar to what Goodman used to make.

The Trane residential units are made in Tyler, Tx, so its a good local made product.

And that's my point

When daiken bought Goodman they were at one time putting the daiken name on Goodman equipment. Not sure if that's still the case. My other issue is their compressors used to be made by daiken instead of sourced from Copeland. They haven't been in the us market that long compared to carrier, trane etc so it's really hard to know about the long term reliability of their compressor. I ask again how much was the trane quote you got ?
Cheap equipment is cheap for a reason

sdc177
AG
JP76 said:

K188Ag said:

And that's my point

When daiken bought Goodman they were at one time putting the daiken name on Goodman equipment. Not sure if that's still the case. My other issue is their compressors used to be made by daiken instead of sourced from Copeland. They haven't been in the us market that long compared to carrier, trane etc so it's really hard to know about the long term reliability of their compressor. I ask again how much was the trane quote you got ?
Cheap equipment is cheap for a reason

The existing system is a Trane. None of the 3 companies proposed a new Trane. Rather than shop brand first, I went with the 3 most highly recommended and reviewed companies in my area. I figured if they were selling junk they wouldn't have such high praise.

The Daikin guy was in the middle price wise. The one proposing Payne/Bryant (3.5 ton) was the cheapest. And the one proposing American Standard/Carrier was the most expensive.

I was most comfortable with the Daikin guy even though I hadn't heard of the brand prior. Sounds like you would suggest spending extra for 11 more years of labor covered under warranty.
buddybee
Having worked in the business (now retired) on and off since the 70s, I would not be so concerned about the brand as I would about the install and reputation of the company doing the work. A warranty is only as good a the company. Unless things have changed American Standard and Trane are made by the same company. Daiken is a good company and make a good product. If you feel comfortable about the Daiken and feel the company will be around and honor the warranty go for it. I would. Just read the warranty well to make sure there are on got you clauses you don't understand. Make sure the company puts everything in plain language everyone understands. What I use to hate in the business is parts were covered for say x years but labor was not. Labor is was the main cost in a repair not under warranty. Also the company we sold for Lennox, if the part was under warranty would make you pay for shipping of part and other hidden charges. Be aware Lennox has a bad coil problem and has many lawsuits against them for faulty coils. Hope this helps Daiken sounds the route for me too if company doing the quote is good.
BrazosDog02
AG
I believe the DZ16SA is in fact a Copeland Scroll Compressor.

I had a Daikin DZ16TC system put in a couple of years ago. It is a multistage heat pump with a VS air handler. It is fully communicating and controlled with an EWC Zone board for 3 separate zones. It run very well. It has a 12 year warranty on everything and the compressor is a replacement warranty. Compressor dies, they replace the entire outside unit.

As stated, your installer is what matters most. Fortunately for Daikin, not everyone can install them. This may be the case with other manufacturers Unless something has changed, you must be a Daikin dealer and have the proper credentials and training from them to install the products you are pedaling. Plus, the plant is 45 mins from my house so it's kind of a no brainer. My last unit died and I waited 4 days for the manufacturer to source a part once.

Daikin is one of the largest, if not the largest manufacturers of AC systems in the world. I would easily rate them at the top of the food chain in quality. They have been in commercial forever. I cannot speak for all units, but my system does in fact have a Copeland Scroll in it. However, Copeland or not, the system carries the same warranty and the parts are sourced in your own state.

My current system has three Honeywell Prestige series t-stats with Redlink for web based ultra lazy thermostat temp changes from my mobile. Lol.

Full disclosure: My previous unit was a higher end Lennox heat pump that also had a 10 year warranty on it. It got several parts under warranty. When the compressor started to crap out at the worst time OUT of warranty is when I dumped the system.
sdc177
AG
The last 2 responses support my original thoughts: installer first, brand second.

Unlike most situations, the warranty I am talking about is from Daikin, not the A/C company. So my guy could get hit by a bus and another company licensed with Daikin can take care of me. Again it comes with 12 year parts/1 year labor. For an additional $850 I get 12 year parts/12 year labor. I am heavily leaning towards the additional warranty - anyone think it's a bad idea?

Some of the responses here remind me of my grandparents trying to discourage my dad from buying a "Jap car", lol. But it's okay, I appreciate all feedback, positive or negative!

Gary79Ag
AG
sdc177 said:

The last 2 responses support my original thoughts: installer first, brand second.

Unlike most situations, the warranty I am talking about is from Daikin, not the A/C company. So my guy could get hit by a bus and another company licensed with Daikin can take care of me. Again it comes with 12 year parts/1 year labor. For an additional $850 I get 12 year parts/12 year labor. I am heavily leaning towards the additional warranty - anyone think it's a bad idea?

Some of the responses here remind me of my grandparents trying to discourage my dad from buying a "Jap car", lol. But it's okay, I appreciate all feedback, positive or negative!
If it were me, considering you're living in Texas, with the Texas heat and all, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $850 for the additional labor warranty...12 years in Texas is a long time for an HVAC system. As noted above, the labor is the most expensive cost associated with HVAC repairs!
91_Aggie
AG
Gary79Ag said:

sdc177 said:

If it were me, considering you're living in Texas, with the Texas heat and all, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $850 for the additional labor warranty...12 years in Texas is a long time for an HVAC system. As noted above, the labor is the most expensive cost associated with HVAC repairs!
Our system is on borrowed time. going on 21 years now in texas heat.

I would hope a new system that is better than builder-grade would be good for 12 years easy.

After 12 years is where you are going to need it.
V8Aggie
AG
K188Ag said:

A little off here. Wife works for Goodman. Since Daikan acquired Goodman they've been increasing the overall quality of Goodman by using Daikan parts. Their AC's are very reliable and popular through the rest of the world.

And yes they bought the town Waller lol. If someone opened up a food court on that corner next to the plant theyd do very well.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.