Bathroom Countertop Options

2,147 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggietaco
AggieFactor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On to the next project in the house, the hall bath. Going full farmhouse style on this one which means wooden countertops. As far as ease goes, I am leaning towards buying a premade butcherblock countertop, and just sand, stain, and seal it. However, looking at videos online, it doesnt seem that difficult to go to a lumber yard, pick out some good 6/4, S4S material, pocket hole or biscuit together, then finish it. From the carpenters or designers here on the board, what is your preference?

ForeverAg
AG
Go to a lumber yard and do your own glue up. You can pick the species of wood you want, and cut to your desire size.
txag2008
AG
Is this going to be done in a week?
Gary79Ag
AG
txag2008 said:

Is this going to be done in a week?
L.O.L.
AggieFactor
AG
COMING SOON . . . MARCH 30 - APRIL 6
Gary79Ag
AG
AggieFactor said:

COMING SOON . . . MARCH 30 - APRIL 6
Oh Boy, here we go again....
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
YYYEEESSS!!
cadetjay02
AG
I have done this recently and have all the tools for it. I just bought 3 2x10"s at Home Depot that we're the straightest. I used my table saw to take off the edges, sent them through the planer a couple times, put biscuits on them, big glue up with lots of clamps, then a 1/4 round finish with a router. Couple coats of stain and poly got them looking pretty good. Wife was happy so I guess it turned out fine. I'm in the North Dallas burbs if you're nearby and need something. I'll post a pic when I get to desktop.

Edit- did not send boards through core of the earth

jwoodmd
AggieFactor said:

On to the next project in the house, the hall bath. Going full farmhouse style on this one which means wooden countertops. As far as ease goes, I am leaning towards buying a premade butcherblock countertop, and just sand, stain, and seal it. However, looking at videos online, it doesnt seem that difficult to go to a lumber yard, pick out some good 6/4, S4S material, pocket hole or biscuit together, then finish it. From the carpenters or designers here on the board, what is your preference?

Sure would hate to be brushing your teeth or shaving with a blade at the sink by the door in that picture. Someone opening it fast and you're going have some serious issues.
The Fife
cadetjay02 said:

...sent them through the planet a couple times, ...
This beats all the work I did on our place! I can't even imagine the effort that took.
cadetjay02
AG
As I'm sitting here on the throne I'm trying to decide if that would be interstellar or intraplanetary wood travel. Either way it would be quite an accomplishment.
ellebee
In
Bobcat-Ag
When do we start taking guesses as to how long it will take to finish?
AgCWby90CS
AG
Reclaimed old growth wood would look good.
CWby '90
AggieFactor
AG
Found a spot in Frisco selling reclaimed boxcar wood so I get the counter thickness that I am looking for. Its Bloodwood that I will put a walnut stain to so I can get the color in their showroom.

Gary79Ag
AG
Details on the place please as we may be looking for something like that in the future as well...TIA
AggieFactor
AG
Boxcar Lumberyard

https://boxcarhouse.com/pages/contact-bcl
Gary79Ag
AG
AggieFactor said:

Boxcar Lumberyard

https://boxcarhouse.com/pages/contact-bcl
Thanks AggieFactor...might have to check it out next time we're down that way!
Aggietaco
AG
No need for pocket screws or biscuits, just joint the edges and use some waterproof wood glue, like titebond iii (longer open time than titebond ii).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.