Home Security Options

2,452 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Marvin_Zindler
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're remodeling our kitchen and living room and we're thinking now may be the time we upgrade the home security system from the old unmonitored ADT alarm system we have to something more up to date.

I see a bunch of home security companies out there (SimpliSafe, Ring, Nest) in addition to the big guys like ADT, Brinks, ATT, etc.

We're just looking for something simple with maybe a camera, but nothing super like fire and water detection or anything like that. I'm not even convinced we need monitoring.

Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on what's out there?
txag2008
AG
Look at Abode. It's just like SimpliSafe/Ring/Nest, but doesn't require an ongoing monitoring plan.
Martin Q. Blank
1. Find an ADT van doing an install and give them $20 for a couple of signs and stickers.
2. Install a couple of cameras around your house. Doesn't matter if they're on. Post a sticker on your front door window about the cameras.
3. Buy a dog.
MAS444
AG
Interested in opinions/experiences with simplisafe/ring/nest too...
DeBoss
AG
From a cost perspective, if you want to be able to have all the benefits of monitoring without paying for it on a monthly basis, I would go Nest or Simplisafe. That way you can see/do everything from your home. Might be more of an upfront cost but you don't owe anything else and aren't in a stupid contract.

I have Nest for all my cameras and love them. You need 1-2 outdoor, 1 doorbell, then maybe 1-2 interior and you are good. App is great on both Android/Iphone.
sts7049
AG
smith thompson was always way cheaper for monitoring. i had a good experience with them.
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
txag2008
AG
SimpliSafe isn't designed to work as a self-monitored system if you're aren't paying their reoccurring fee, it'll be limited to local use.

Good overview of the self-installed options
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-home-security-system/
Bob_Ag
AG
We have out alarm system, unmonitored, that came with the house. Then I paid like $500 on Amazon for 4 cameras and storage (Amcrest I think it was). You can install the app on your phone and PC to monitor it as needed.
JSKolache
AG
Smith Thompson will monitor your adt system for $17/mo. Then buy a camera or two separately
rbcs_2
AG
If you aren't convinced you need monitoring, then get a self monitoring system with the option to add monitoring as needed. Simplisafe is not self monitored.

Nest (Google) is nice but you pay a premium. They have add on monitoring through Brinks I think and it's $25/month. Ring has add on monitoring for $9/month. Abode has add on monitoring (3-day, 7-day, monthly, yearly options). Scout has a $20/month monitoring.

If you have time and really want to get in the weeds of it, build a system yourself with a Raspberry Pi and Mozilla Gateway IoT or OpenHAB. But that would not come with professional monitoring. Not a big deal for many if it's done right.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I love our Ring system. I found the big kit at Costco on black friday and bought two because it made sense price wise to buy it for the extra sensors alone All in, it cost about $475, but I still need to sell the extra base station on ebay, which will bring in about $100.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.