Opinions on hot water for an "outdoor kitchen"

3,140 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Comeby!
WheelinAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A previous owner built a small "BBQ shed" ~ 10' x 15'. It has a counter with a sink and a grill plumbed into the house propane tank. Eventually I'll expand it, but for the moment all I want is to add hot water. BBQ shed is too far from the house to consider plumbing into it. So there are a few options, tankless, traditional tank, or a camping tankless. I'm not considering anything with a tank because of the small area and I don't think a 2 gallon point of use would be enough water. So that leaves me with the tankless options. We have an electric unit at our shop on a sink, but it's really fickle with the volume of water. Too little or too much volume and it turns cold...

I'm considering one of these camp propane water heaters since propane is already plumbed into the shed. Any one have experience with them or any other good options?
Post removed:
by user
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Solid advice
strohag
AG
Get an Eemax EMT2.5. You'll have A point of use heater with a small storage tank for 180 bucks. Also plugs into normal 110v plug.
WheelinAg
AG
I'd definitely rather go electric, but I've been underwhelmed by the one we have on our shop sink. Maybe a 220 volt unit isn't as temperamental. Running more electric over is a little bit of a pain, but not a deal breaker.
WheelinAg
AG
strohag said:

Get an Eemax EMT2.5. You'll have A point of use heater with a small storage tank for 180 bucks. Also plugs into normal 110v plug.

This is just a a small water heater that relies on the main water heater to back it up, right? Or can it actually provide continuous hot water?
strohag
AG
It's got 2.5 gallons ready to go and it heats the water also. You will be mixing cold water in so going through that much hot water won't go quick. If you plan on washing dishes for an hour out there it won't work well but for point of use short spans it will do the job.
jtp01
AG
One word of caution if it applies. Remember if you get freezing temps in the winter, you will have to properly insulate the system or drain it.

We are building north of Amarillo and we are leaving the outdoor sink out of our kitchen purely to keep from having to remember to drain, or plan to drain anytime we are going to be away during late fall/winter/early spring.
JSKolache
AG
strohag said:

I put this under kitchen sink for cleaning baby bottles cuz hot water took about a minute to reach sink. Now it is instant. Enough hot to wash hands and a few small things before it runs cool for 30 seconds or so and then main hot kicks in. I would have gone with a bigger eemax, but 2.5 is only one that fit our space under sink. Good option.
Comeby!
AG
Good call on the 2.5 gal unit. Getting one for under the wife's sink. Tankless takes too long.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.