New Door Hardware

3 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BenTheGoodAg
BenTheGoodAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to replace the door hardware and cabinet hardware all throughout the house. For the door hardware, do you typically lubricate the mechanism when new? Anyone here have any tips/tricks/lessons learned to offer when replacing the whole house?
Mose Schrute
AG
No lubrication should be necessary upon install.
JP76
Doesn't hurt to lubricate with silicone.
Texker
AG
Agree it doesn't hurt to shoot it with a touch of silicone if it makes you feel better. I've changed out a bunch of door knobs and never felt the need to do that as they are typically pre-treated.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.build.com/door-hardware-presidents-sale/c82041766?source=em~eml~1~2019_02_18_PresidentsDaySale_ActiveCon_AB_SHOPNOW~123307&userid=&MID=10256381902869&RID=7674676223&emp=false&m_i=fM1e2IZ_NuWhi7%2BubFsaOYzse209TysauiOv8ZIvQiwdm2G2Nodj8o8994IcjFCvARUUTXDzWrqpiaGoNZGM%2Bd_nvRyKfn&M_BT=7674676223
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Thanks all.

Ended up pulling the trigger on all of it, hinges, cabinet hinges, ceiling fans, cabinet knobs/pulls, door knobs, and lighting trims (to eliminate brass reflectors).

The only one that caught me off guard on price were the door hinges. The previous owner was a contractor who built the home. He definitely spent good money for quality hardware, including some commercial grade door hinges. I didn't realize that they're a little thicker gauge, which meant the mortises were a tidge too deep for residential grade. I'm happy to replace it with the commercial grade hinge, but it was hard to find one in the finish I needed and when I did, I paid for them...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.