Window Help Needed

1,777 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by evestor1
evestor1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am working on a house build with lots of glass...

First Quote for vinyl was 14k (ply-gem)

Second Quote for wood clad was 89k (jeld-wen siteline)

I was thinking it would be 3x ... not 6x

Any recommendations?? I would like to get wood on the inside, but 6x is hard to take.

thank you!

Whitetail
AG
$89k?
AgCWby90CS
AG
Whitetail said:

$89k?
Surely not a spread of 14k to 89k. Even with the difference of materials.
CWby '90
evestor1
That was my thought also - I have used this distributor a dozen or so times for window (always vinyl)

Do you guys have any recs for a wood inside window? The scope is approximately 40 windows. Price is important.
AgCWby90CS
AG
Not sure of their residential pricing but Pella is one to get a quote from.
CWby '90
dubi
AG
Measure all the windows and get a quote from Lowe's and Home Depot.
ntxaggie
Andersen - might price their composite as well as their wood.
03_Aggie
ntxaggie said:

Andersen - might price their composite as well as their wood.

Just don't be shocked when Anderson comes back at 89k for their composite.
JP76
I like Pella for wood windows. But they are not going to cheap.
Long Live Sully
AG
How many and what size are they?

$89K? That sounds crazy. I bought 18 double hung vinyl clad wood windows from Jeld Wen for about $8k seven years ago and they are great windows.
toolshed
AG
Don't use Jeldwen, my vendors say they won't use them anymore because of their service? Where are you located? My rep at Probuild/ Builders Firstsource recommended Windsor Door And Window. I haven't used them, but he said their product was good and service as well.

I've used Anderson Eagle as a customer already had several windows by them and liked them. But the rep said they have a hard time getting them here to BCS. I had to pick them up in Georgetown.

Paella is going to be a higher price point. I have friends that used them and have had to have parts replaced on most of the windows. I can't recall if it's with interior blinds or some other component.
Ikanizer
AG
I bought a rural house full of expensive 13 year old Jeld-Wen windows and about a week before closing I called them to report that something like 9 out of 20 appeared to have broken seals and were foggy in between the panes. The service person said those windows were lifetime warranty for original owner but only 10 years if the house is sold.
Since I wasn't officially the new owner they agreed to replace all the windows for free.
They sent crews to Brenham from Houston and San Antonio three times before it was done. The service men showed me the seals on the old windows and explained that they don't make them that way anymore.
I was stunned by their willingness to give me new windows.
dallasiteinsa02
Try plygem for wood inside with vinyl outside. It is a very well built window. It requires a little larger opening because of the size of the window. They are big in the northeast but haven't gotten that spec into the Texas market.

I am going to guess it would be double your first quote from them.
evestor1
update - i ended up with pella architectural wood clad. i am very happy and ready to fully strip the film and clean.

Overall the project has 71 separate window frames in the house. With the mulls it is 30 separate window units. Two bathroom windows are vinyl. 6 radius tops. Largest mulled unit is 237" wide by 96" high. Total glass is approximately 1025sf. I am exhausted of windows.

Blurry Panoramic - all top row mulls. c11 trim on all non-radius windows.

Dining Room - all top row mulls

Living room only

Entry hall - divided light mulls

Study - Radius top divided light - i had a hard time with the trim so i used flex pm6 on inside and out then painted . Window frame was stained.

No idea why, but i have no pics of the back of house clean.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.