Aerate lawn

2,561 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 62strat
tmas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have success with the shoe attachments or hand push aerators?

Can you rent aerators? or know of someone in Houston who can do this for me?

Thanks.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We rent one from home depot every year. Beware though- they are heavy. We take the trailer and load it up on there so we arent trying to drag it up into the back of a truck. its a pretty quick simple job once you unload it.
agnerd
AG
If it doesn't pull a plug out of the ground, it isn't really accomplishing anything. The shoes aren't good. This kind is ok if you have more time than money:

https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-ID-6C-Parent-Coring-Aerator/dp/B00PIP801I/ref=zg_bs_3480687011_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=FZ6KNDR8KJGJ6WB46KVT

Otherwise, rent one for a few hours, use it on your lawn and get a few neighbors to pay part of your cost to use it on their yards.
rao11010
AG
We have 3-4 neighbors go in on a rental from Home Depot for the day. I believe the website is showing around 50 for 4 hours and 88 for a full day.
Picard
AG
It pains me that Home Depot doesn't rent a towable aerator. I don't need their machine as I have a lawn tractor....just rent me a towable!

Whoop Delecto
AG
strohag
AG
Think I'm going to aerate this year. My yard is just crap soil the builder put down years ago and the people we bought the home from never did anything to improve it. Would y'all recommend aerating and then adding some good top soil? Need my lawn to thicken up.
toolshed
AG
Depending on your yard size and budget, you can certainly top dress with a compost or composted top soil. You can take it in with a leaf rake or drag it in with a lawn mower with a non toothed drag, like a piece of fencing, cattle panel, etc. if it's a larger yard or acreage.

The composted material should work into the holes from aerating and provide nutrients as well as filling the holes with something that will hold moisture better and amend the solids at the same time.
Bottlerocket
AG
Flag your sprinklers heads first
Quote:

https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-ID-6C-Parent-Coring-Aerator/dp/B00PIP801I/ref=zg_bs_3480687011_1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=FZ6KNDR8KJGJ6WB46KVT

Unless your yard is like 100sf, DO NOT get this POS.

As said, rent a machine, find a neighbor or 5, and get your cost to $0. I do this every year with only 5 neighbors. they save plenty money compared to hiring out, and I get it free, just my labor to pick up/drop off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.