Interior Slab Piers ?

4 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mAgnoliAg
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any experience with adding piers on the interior of the slab?

I'm in the option period on a house and our inspection shows considerable settling through the interior of the house - the exterior is quite high compared to the interior of the home.

We are unsure if the settling is being caused by a plumbing leak or a poor build up when the slab was poured.

The recommended fix is a significant number of piers to be placed under the interior of the house to level it up.

The tunneling needed to get to the pier locations increases the expense of this BY A LOT.

I'm also unsure of any impact of the tunneling? If these were piers around the edge of the foundation, I wouldn't be as bothered as most houses in Houston require this at some point.

Anyone have any experience or insight?
Absolute
AG
Probably want to have at least one second opinion from a licensed PE. My advice here should not be taken as gospel.

Off the top of my head, generally the situation you describe - high around perimeter, low in the middle - would indicate heaving around the perimeter, not necessarily settling in the middle. In my experience, while settling in the middle is possible it isn't that common. Plumbing leaks in the middle would lift the middle. How old is it? Conditions at time of construction can sometimes cause this type of thing if the soils wasn't properly prepped.

As far as the work itself, tunneling and such, I see houses that have had it done and they seem no worse for it.

Personally and professionally, the situation you describe would make me pretty uncomfortable with the house. I would describe it as high risk. Doesn't mean it is an absolute run away, but you really need to do through due diligence (Texags doesn't count) and have a couple different pe type look and offer opinions.
sellthefarm
AG
Absolute said:

Probably want to have at least one second opinion from a licensed PE. My advice here should not be taken as gospel.

Off the top of my head, generally the situation you describe - high around perimeter, low in the middle - would indicate heaving around the perimeter, not necessarily settling in the middle. In my experience, while settling in the middle is possible it isn't that common. Plumbing leaks in the middle would lift the middle. How old is it? Conditions at time of construction can sometimes cause this type of thing if the soils wasn't properly prepped.

As far as the work itself, tunneling and such, I see houses that have had it done and they seem no worse for it.

Personally and professionally, the situation you describe would make me pretty uncomfortable with the house. I would describe it as high risk. Doesn't mean it is an absolute run away, but you really need to do through due diligence (Texags doesn't count) and have a couple different pe type look and offer opinions.
Nailed it.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Absolute said:

My initial inspector was a Licensed Structural PE - he seemed to think exterior heaving as well. I've had a foundation company look at it and they feel it's interior settling.

We are contemplating a second PE inspection for another opinion.

I'm asking here just to see if anyone has any experience with them since I personally can not think of anyone that has done so.

At this point, I'm 50/50 between run away and proceed. How much I can get the existing owners to contribute to the cause is also a heavy factor.
Absolute
AG
When was it built?

I think this condition can result from building during a drought and not properly hydrating/prepping the soil. So when the conditions go back to normal moisture levels the perimeter heaves/lifts faster than the middle. Not sure about the success rates of piering the middle if this is the case. Regardless, it is a red flag.

Not to bad mouth foundation companies, but I would definitely advise relying more on actual licensed engineers than companies that make money performing the repairs they recommend (and I do believe there are honest foundation repair companies.)

I would be very interested in an explanation from the foundation company as to the specific conditions and factors that led to the middle settling. That is not a common condition in my experience.

Ultimately you have two conflicting opinions, one from a pure consultant and one from a company that profits from the repairs. If you intend to proceed, you really should spend the money for a second pe.
Gary79Ag
AG
I totally agree with everything Absolute stated above...get a second opinion, not from a foundation repair company but from an actual professional engineer to get a PE's assessment of your situation before you do anything else!

I had a house that had foundation issues. Had 2 foundation repair companies view it and got bids from 2 for 11 piers and 22 piers from the other. Had a professional engineer review it and he immediately asked if I had a slab leak test done. I hadn't and he recommended that I do as the interior was heaving which he said was most likely from a slab leak. Had it performed and sure enough, the drain under the tub in the middle of the house had deteriorated and was draining under the house. Had it repaired and everything settled back to normal within a year. Saved me about $30K!
mAgnoliAg
AG
Exterior heaving most likely, although it's weird if it's the entire perimeter. Foundation companies just look for the low parts of the floor elevation survey and throw piers into a quote, not considering there could be another cause leading to the heaving/settling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.