Any rose experts?

1,853 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by reddog90
reddog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was given this rose a couple months ago. We repotted it in rose soil and put it in full sun and it's seems very happy. The problem is I don't think it's been properly pruned in a long time. We would like to cut it back and train it into a nicer looking shape. I have no idea what type of rose this is, but the flowers are pretty and fragrant. It's just an ugly plant at the moment. Is now a good time to cut it back? Are any of the circled areas good places to cut it? Thanks.

toolshed
AG
Not an expert, more novice. Typically you print roses just above a limb, and an new branch will emerge from the "v" between the main branch and the leaf stem/ limb. I always try to prune where the branch is on the upper side of the main trunk, so the new growth goes upward, vs from the bottom side of a limb I'm pruning.

I'd try initially to prune above the yellow circle, leaving both sides of the v in place, with the hope that it would produce new limbs below the v on the main trunk. I would assume this would be less stressful than much lower on the main trunk, and would hope give you a long section of new growth to limb out and train in the future.

I'd look into fertilization as wel, when doing a major pruning like this, as far as what/ when to fertilize as to feed and not stress the bush more.
ftworthag02
AG
looks like a climber, rule of thumb is to trim climbers after they're done blooming in spring. It would be happier if it was planted in a well prepared bed that gets full sun.
Tecolote
AG
I'd prune it at the blue circle. It's way overgrown imho.

And I agree with the post above that it'd be happier in a well prepared garden bed.
reddog90
AG
I think the rose is a Joseph's Coat, which is a climber. I'm reading mixed suggestions on pruning late winter while dormant or late summer after it's done blooming. Clearly the plant is not dormant right now. My bermuda didn't even go dormant this winter. Should I prune now or late summer? I'd love to prune it to encourage more shoots from lower in the plant so I can train it into the trellis. I do have a spot on my west fence that I could prep a bed and put up some hog panel for it to climb.
ftworthag02
AG
https://neilsperry.com/faq/how-do-i-prune-climbing-roses-10321/
Spore Ag
It looks like a Joseph's Coat which is a beautiful climber. Valentine's Day is traditional pruning time in the Gulf coast area.
You can prune anywhere but if you are unsure and want to explore don't be so aggresive.

Now is a great time to get your bed ready and plant in the ground.

I am doing what you are with a Dom Juan which is a heavy cane climber.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
reddog90
AG
To follow up and close this thread:

I decided to take a risk and cut the rose way down below the blue circle in my original post. I thought I had killed it for a while. But now we've been rewarded with six new branches sprouting from the base. Hopefully we can get this thing trained into the trellis and keep it nice looking for years to come. Thanks for the advice.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.