Pool with new home build questions

2,795 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Killin Me Smalls
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're building a new home in Frisco and we're considering building a pool at the same time. I'm looking for pros/cons from those that have done this, or added afterwards and have an opinion on doing both at the same time.

I suspect the pros are that we are not paying a 2nd time to move sprinklers, re-sod the yard, rebuild a fence, and the home builder will be on the hook for ensuring the lot drains properly. Any estimates on savings by not repaying for those services?

Correct? Anything we should review carefully during the process? Are there risks from a final home loan standpoint since the cost of the pool is evaluated into the value of home contract, although cost is 100% pre-paid for the pool?

Do you see a benefit of building the pool after the home is completed and we're moved in?

The home builder requires that the home contract is modified to include the cost of the pool, and 100% of the pool cost is paid up front directly to the home builder. They have a limited number of pool companies they'll work with - Riverbend/Sandler, Mirage, and Gold Medal.
Take the trash out staff.
toolshed
AG
My first thought is that if you're paying the home builder to hire the pool company to build the pool, whatever you think you're saving on irrigation, sod, fence, is minuscule compared to the extra you're paying the home builder to add it to his contract. He likely has a 12-15% markup on the house for profit/ overhead, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't charge the same overhead for the cost of the pool, if not a greater percentage.

I'd speak with some pool builders yourself, get prices to compare to the same build that the home builders pool company quotes. Apples to apples comparison. Then see if you're truly saving anything.

It would be easier to do it at the same time, you aren't dealing with a torn up yard and build after you move in, so there's the cost of convenience to consider. I'd just want to know what he's charging over and above the cost of the pool build for that convenience, and how much coordination is truly involved, that he's not going to defer issues to the pool company later and shirk responsibility once all is said and done.
Garrelli 5000
AG
From what I gather, we come to a price agreement with the pool builder, then that amount is what is added to the home builder's contract.

It is a good question to unlock however - is there an agreement b/w the pool company and the builder to upcharge.
Aggietaco
AG
You're definitely paying a markup, and you should be, if you want the builder to manage the process for you.
htxag09
AG
As you mentioned, I would be worried about how it effects your loan. If you're building a custom house or even just customizing and picking out higher end finishes, your loan will be on the high side of the value. If you add a pool to that loan, it's very possible to be over the threshold of borrowing more than your appraised value, depending on down payment, of course.

I assume the builder owns the lot and it's a conventional loan? If you own the lot and it's a construction loan then that's completely different.
agnerd
AG
Quote:

The home builder requires that the home contract is modified to include the cost of the pool, and 100% of the pool cost is paid up front directly to the home builder.
He does this because the ~$80,000 pool adds virtually $0 to the value of the house. If he gets stuck with the house either because of financing or some other reason, he won't be on the hook for a very expensive, but worthless, add-on.
pasquale
AG
Make sure the electrical line is run along your fence line and not diagonally across your backyard
Garrelli 5000
AG
Learned today that the home builder does have a 5% fee agreement with the pool company. It's a small price for the convenience of not ripping out my yard to add a pool later. The pool company said he's seen a lot of builders with 15 or 20% agreements.
Aggie_95
AG
Garrelli 5000
AG
Thanks for the info! Those are 2 of the 3 allowed, the 3rd being Mirage. We've interviewed all 3 and are waiting for price /design from 2 of them.
Comeby!
AG
Doing the same here in Frisco. Talked to Foley, waiting on final proposal. Meeting RS Monday and possibly Gold Medal since we know them and they are in the neighborhood.
Prosper92Ag
AG
Can't speak to the primary question of building with the house, but I will vouch for Mirage. We used them in 2017 and have been happy. Got way more for the money than quotes from RS or Foley. Didn't even get quote from Gold Medal cause we knew they were high.

Newer company but they're related to Hauk which has been around a while and has a good rep.
keo1
AG
having sprinklers grass and landscaping redone is very expensive. also with pool going in at time of house a lot of drainage issues can be resolved. You will probably save atleast 20,000 by doing with home construction.
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
falconace
We used prestige. Got a hell of a deal. Love the pool.

Ask the difference in cost between doing the construction during build vs after. Also ask a few non affiliated companies to bid to keep everyone honest.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
+1 on Gold Medal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.