Best pricing for pressure treated pine?

2,940 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by akaggie05
PetroAg87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some wood for a small outdoor project that I am going to be putting together over the next couple of weeks. Approximately a dozen 8' lengths of various dimensions in yellow pine are required.

Any recommendations on where to buy the wood? Obvious first thought is a Home Depot/Lowes, but can I get better pricing that justifies a visit elsewhere for this fairly small volume of wood?

Thanks Ags.
Whitetail
AG
I prefer the quality of wood from McCoys over the big box stores.
hillcountryag86
AG
I prefer to avoid wet treated. Find #1 KDAT (Kiln Dried After Treatment).
AgCWby90CS
AG
McCoys. Not many others can compete with the pricing from the big box stores on small orders. We buy for commercial projects from others because they can tailor to our needs but when I have a small personal project I go to McCoys or Lowe's.
CWby '90
Wildman15
AG
PetroAg87 said:

I need some wood for a small outdoor project that I am going to be putting together over the next couple of weeks. Approximately a dozen 8' lengths of various dimensions in yellow pine are required.

Any recommendations on where to buy the wood? Obvious first thought is a Home Depot/Lowes, but can I get better pricing that justifies a visit elsewhere for this fairly small volume of wood?

Thanks Ags.
careful about that. When it comes to those stores, you're definitely getting what you paid for. Go find another lumber yard or hardware store that's not a box store. More often than not, the employees will have a much better understanding and knowledge about what you're trying to do. Prices will also still be very competitive, but you'll definitely be getting more bang for your buck.
Post removed:
by user
FincAg
AG
Don't trust the help at big box stores when pulling off the rack. They instinctively grab the gnarly warped boards in an attempt to move them out the door. Dig in there. Also, go and check the inventory. If it's low wait for a fresh pallet in a couple days. Some of that stuff has sat there for months and it twisted beyond belief. I get them wet and then dry them in my garage over the course of several weeks.
JP76
In my experience over the last 20 years of buying treated lumber, Home Depot or Lowes will almost always be better quality and straighter as it sits the majority of the time in a temperature/humidity controlled environment versus outside in the sun in extreme temperature and humidity variations.
AgCWby90CS
AG
JP76 said:

In my experience over the last 20 years of buying treated lumber, Home Depot or Lowes will almost always be better quality and straighter as it sits the majority of the time in a temperature/humidity controlled environment versus outside in the sun in extreme temperature and humidity variations.

Much the same reasoning for panel and truss frame houses vs stick built, not that stick built are wrong but that panel and truss aren't bad.
CWby '90
akaggie05
AG
Location? If in DFW, check out Defords in Duncanville.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.