Please help me with my dark closets

2,763 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tsuag10
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Purchased a new home this past summer. It is a new build but was already completed when we bought it.

The 2 guest bedrooms have pretty standard sized closets, but they don't have any type of lighting inside them at all. It is pretty much impossible to see everything in the closet, especially when it's full. See pics below:

Just to test the idea, I ran 16ft LED rope light that I have around the trim on the inside of the closet doors and it puts off about the perfect amount of light in all the right areas. However, I currently don't have power in the closet, so I would have to run a cord from out in the room and that just looks tacky.

I don't have a problem with the idea of dropping power into the closet, but I want to do it in the most logical/practical way that doesn't look half-azz. I'm not a pro with home improvement, but I am confident with handling basic projects. We aren't planning on staying in this house any more than 5-10 years, so I want to make sure it looks nice and "purposeful".

Are the LED rope lights around the doorway the best option? I'm open to other suggestions.

What is the easiest way to get power in the closet and it still look clean/neat?

TIA
DannyDuberstein
AG
ignore
Marvin_Zindler
AG
What attic access do you have above the closets? What outlets are close by that you could tap off of?

Here is a good rough overview of what the process will entail:
tsuag10
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

For simplicity sake, do you have any plugs in your attic that you could run an extension cord to?
Yes, I do. That would probably be the easiest thing to do.

I'm just trying to decide how confident I am in my abilities. I'd really like to do something that looks professional so the future prospective buyer doesn't easily notice that it was an after-thought.
tsuag10
AG
Great video. Certainly gives me a little bit better idea of what my options are.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ignore this guy
Marvin_Zindler
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

You could probably hide the entry point inside the closet pretty easily. You can use a wall plate to help minimize the impact of whatever hole you end up creating. People are basically doing this kind of thing to get Nest outdoor cameras, etc plugged in somewhere, as they are designed to go directly into a plug outlet vs. be hardwired in.

Personally, I'd probably bite the bullet and do something like the video indicates. But my suggestion would get it done quick while doing a decent job of minimizing the dirty. Although you'd need to consider how you want that light to turn on and how it could impact this approach.

Consumer grade extension cords through walls are a code no-no.
tsuag10
AG
Good to know. I wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense.
Aggietaco
AG
tsuag10 said:

Not a knock on you, but this is the reason you need to do your own research on these types of things. You'll find people all over the interweb giving suggestions for things they are not qualified to give advice on. You would probably never have an issue if you just poked a hole in your ceiling and ran a cord to the attic, but there's a reason plenum rated cable exists and if you ever had an electrical house fire, an extension cord in your walls could open you up to a denied claim.

Now, since you have fairly easy access to a circuit in your attic, it should be pretty simple to drop that into your closets to plug in some rope lights (if that's what you want to go with). However, you need to make sure you are running the proper circuit and install the proper outlet (AFCI required for bedrooms).

Another option, if you're in a single story with attic access is to pull a lighting circuit over to the close and add a switched fixture.

If you're uncomfortable figuring out the process or what you need to install, just find a local electrician and have them either wire an outlet or a ceiling box and you can install your plug in rope light or light fixture afterwards.

tsuag10
AG
Aggietaco said:

tsuag10 said:

Not a knock on you, but this is the reason you need to do your own research on these types of things. You'll find people all over the interweb giving suggestions for things they are not qualified to give advice on. You would probably never have an issue if you just poked a hole in your ceiling and ran a cord to the attic, but there's a reason plenum rated cable exists and if you ever had an electrical house fire, an extension cord in your walls could open you up to a denied claim.
Great point. I'm certainly researching everything thoroughly and I'm not in a big hurry. I intend to take my time and do it right.

Quote:

Now, since you have fairly easy access to a circuit in your attic, it should be pretty simple to drop that into your closets to plug in some rope lights (if that's what you want to go with). However, you need to make sure you are running the proper circuit and install the proper outlet (AFCI required for bedrooms).
If I already have an outlet that is on the outside of the closet (less than 1ft from the door frame).

Could I tie into that line in the wall and put an outlet on the opposite side of the wall (inside the closet) 6-8 inches above the outward facing plug? Or should I put a junction box up in the attic where the wire drops in and just have 2 lines going down (one for the new plug and the existing one for the current plug)?
Aggietaco
AG
That would be your best bet and easiest way to get an outlet there.

ETA: adding an outlet inside the closet off of the local bedroom outlet.
MrJonMan
AG
I have 3 closets with the same issue. I"ve previously tried battery powered LEDs, but they either die too quickly or don't put off enough light.

I've come to the conclusion that I just need to hire an electrician to install a light in them. Not sure if i would do a fixture and a switch or just a fixture with built in on/off.
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Gary79Ag
AG
Just be sure whatever you do, it meets code or you'll be redoing it if/when you sell...

A light bulb in a standard light fixture without a globe covering the bulb is a no no...
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Aggietaco said:

tsuag10 said:

Another option, if you're in a single story with attic access is to pull a lighting circuit over to the close and add a switched fixture.

If you're uncomfortable figuring out the process or what you need to install, just find a local electrician and have them either wire an outlet or a ceiling box and you can install your plug in rope light or light fixture afterwards.

To this point, I have found time and again that this board is a solid place to get advice that is code-compliant. And if not, someone will flat out tell you to find a professional.

That said, I have done a lot of my own electrical work over the past three years. And that has been after hours upon hours of watching YouTube videos of people doing things right and wrong, reading a ton online, and talking to people here.
tsuag10
AG
I already have an outlet that is on the outside of the closet (less than 1ft from the door frame).

Could I tie into that line in the wall and put an outlet on the opposite side of the wall (inside the closet) 6-8 inches above the outward facing plug?

Or should I put a junction box up in the attic where the wire drops in and just have 2 lines going down (one for the new plug and the existing one for the current plug)?

Is there any reason why I can't have 2 outlets basically in series off the same wire that drops down into the wall?

Also, it's a new build, so wouldn't the current bedroom plugs be up to code?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
tsuag10 said:

I already have an outlet that is on the outside of the closet (less than 1ft from the door frame).

Could I tie into that line in the wall and put an outlet on the opposite side of the wall (inside the closet) 6-8 inches above the outward facing plug?

Or should I put a junction box up in the attic where the wire drops in and just have 2 lines going down (one for the new plug and the existing one for the current plug)?

Is there any reason why I can't have 2 outlets basically in series off the same wire that drops down into the wall?

Also, it's a new build, so wouldn't the current bedroom plugs be up to code?
How do you plan to switch the new light?
62strat
AG
Quote:

This is how receptacles are generally wired.. they don't each have their own circuit.
AgCWby90CS
AG
To get an idea what is already on that circuit that includes that plug, plug a light into it and find the right breaker to flip off. Then move to the plug light to other plugs to see which are on that breaker that you flipped to off.
CWby '90
tsuag10
AG
Great question. I might end up doing a wired fixture on a switch instead of the rope-lights on a plug. If I do the plug, I would just put an in-line switch on the cord. However, doing a fixture will probably look better.

I've got some more research to do....
Gary79Ag
AG
Here's another option that I used when I sold our old house that didn't have light switches for the lights in the closets...and the fixtures didn't have globe covers.

Original light fixture without a globe covering the bulb...Not To Code!

Replacement screw on light fixture with globe cover and pull chain installed over existing light fixture...Meets Code!

View showing the bottom side that screws onto a substandard light fixture...Meets Code!

tsuag10
AG
Awesome suggestion. I think I'm getting closer to what I need:

https://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Lighting-FMMCL-24-840/dp/B015E68V46
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.