Shutting down pool pump when water is <60F

1,427 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bonfire97
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is my first year with a pool. Several folks at work mentioned that they shut the pool pump off for the winter when the water temp reaches 60F (with the exception of leaving the freeze protection on).

I chlorinate with bleach and minimally with tri-chlor tabs in the chlorinator to keep the proper levels of cyanauric acid in the pool. I was thinking about waiting until all the leaves fall and then back the pump run time down to 30 minutes and bump the chlorinator high enough to maintain proper chlorine levels. That should keep the chlorine level correct and also keep the filter and plumbing water from becoming stagnant.

Thoughts?
ag0207
AG
Just my 2 cents but the circulation of the pool is just as important as chlorine levels to prevent algae. Algae can still become an issue at colder water temperatures but takes longer to get out of control. If you have the proper chlorine level at any given time you can get areas in the pool that are higher and lower than that. Running the pump helps keep everything properly mixed and reduces the risk of algae. Algae can develop if water is stagnate even with proper chlorine levels. Part of the reasoning for brushing the pool periodically is to help keep algae from growing in addition to other benefits. I think you can reduce pump run time significantly during the winter but I probably would run it more than 30 minutes.
katy91
AG
My pool guy recommends running the pump one hour for every 10 degrees. 50 degrees = 5 hours. I've only had a pool for a year so someone smarter than me might have a different way to go about it.
Ikanizer
AG
For many years I have shut mine off for months at a time when the weather is cold.
No problem. In Sugar Land.
Chlorinated with 3" tablets (they don't dissolve in the winter).
2wealfth Man
AG
nm
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.