Steam Room / Sauna

1,238 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MGS
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a corner tub we rarely, if ever, use. Would love to use that space for a 1-2 person steam room or sauna. Does anyone here build them? How much do in-home ones cost to build and then maintain? Just looking for rough numbers. Thanks!
dallasiteinsa02
We have built two. One was a remodel and the other was new construction.

A few recommendations:

1. The steam generation is somewhat loud. Not noticeable when the steam starts but you will hear it when it starts up. There is a balance of being accessible versus out of the way with sound as a consideration.
2. Depending on the manufacture they will either product constant steam or run in batches. I have had both and prefer the constant steam.
3. Learn about the steam controller and the safety settings. Kohler added during a warranty swap of a controller a limit of 20 minutes. The problem is that it may take more than 20 minutes to get up to temperature.
4. My wife likes to turn it on during her shower to just get a little steam. When we were on a tanked water heater I had a short run from it and it produced steam within a minute on a tankless it takes 3 to 4. Doesn't really affect the operation or total time to heat up but worth noting.
5. Make sure you do your calculations correctly. Get one larger if needed.
6. I added an aromatherapy injector on the new construction. It is really nice to be able to add with the push of a button versus putting oil in the little cup on the steam head that really doesn't do much.
7. It is great for little kids to be able to set it to 90-95 degrees and sit with them in it during cold season. 10 minutes in there and they are a new kid.
8. Both times we did a kerdi system. We sealed the hell out of it to prevent moisture penetration.
9. I would also add a marine speaker to have music. It adds to the relaxation.

If you have specific questions, let me know.
03_Aggie
We have a sauna that came with our house. We use it as a closet.

MGS
03_Aggie said:

We have a sauna that came with our house. We use it as a closet.

The steam helps get wrinkles out of your clothes!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.