Fluroescent tube disposal

2,393 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by lkx398
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there any way to legitimately dispose of these things now? I cannot find a place near me that will take them. The lady at Home Depot told me to just wrap them in plastic and pitch them. I will probably just find an unsecured dumpster and kick the can down the road. I am in League City, if that helps any.
Long Live Sully
AG
I broke my last ones yesterday. I put them in a trash can and hit them with a hammer. Then they went to the dump.

Was that wrong?
Dr.Rumack
It seems most people here just leave them in a cart outside the home improvement store of your choice.
jamesf
AG
I always took mine to Home Depot/Lowes, where there was a box at the front of the store to deposit them. I live in FBC, and their recycling center accepts them. You might look at the recycling center where you live.
Rexter
Find a dumpster and throw them end first into the dumpster to see if you can crush the whole thing end to end. That's what we used to do.
Picard
AG
Lightsaber duels

Martin Q. Blank
Another moronic government intrusion. Market came out with a far better, safer alternative...LEDs.
BrazosDog02
AG
Lol. They always want you to recycle but make it as hard as possible. Same with antifreeze. I mix it with my oil recycling because It's inconvenient to find someone to take it straight. Lol.

Tubes get smashed and put in the trash.
Agmechanic
AG
Antifreeze gets pored in fencerows or flushed down the commode.
a gmechanic 01@gma i l (no spaces)
bmc13
AG
i went through the same thing a year or 2 ago. i was able to find a home depot that would take them. some of them collect them and send them in bulk to a recycling center. at least that's what they say.

but otherwise double bag them in heavy duty trash bags and crush them. then put the bag in the regular trash.
gigem70
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

I broke my last ones yesterday. I put them in a trash can and hit them with a hammer. Then they went to the dump.

Was that wrong?
This is what I do. Make sure you wear gloves and safety glasses.
The Fife
Picard said:

Lightsaber duels

Came here to post that. The back yard across the street from where I grew up is probably still full of glass and those aluminum end fittings 20 years after the last one was popped.
Duncan Idaho
I 40 year old virgin that *****
Broba Fett
I make a big fire out of the leaf pile where I pour all my used oil, antifreeze, and old tires, and when it gets hot enough I throw my old fluorescent lights in there too. Is that not how you're supposed to do it?
TXTransplant
Check Lowes. The one by my house takes bulbs (and rechargeable batteries). The bin used to be right inside the entrance, in the cart corral area, but they've moved it inside behind a cash register. It's a big green and blue bin with a bag dispenser (you have to bag each bulb individually).

Edited to say I missed the previous post with the same advice.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Another moronic government intrusion. Market came out with a far better, safer alternative...LEDs.

CFL's and fluorescent tubes were around well before government efficiency mandates for light bulbs. If anything, the mandates spurred the market to create better, more affordable LED's because people could no longer get incandescents and there was an actual opening and demand. Until then, no one wanted a 45-100w equivalent LED bulb because the entry price was way too high. Developing better, cheaper LED's wouldn't prove cost effective for manufacturers if people had an easier, even cheaper alternative.
SkyMoose
AG
Batteries plus
lkx398
AG
I had an on-campus job which included me changing out many fluorescent bulbs. So many of those bulbs met their death in the metal dumpster behind the CE building ... it was so much fun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.