Barrel Roof Tile Installation

1,479 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by shalackin
Ikanizer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to put an italian style barrel tile roof on my house near Brenham. I have samples from Brava that look pretty good. I know there are alternatives.
I asked Brava for qualified installation contractors and they gave me names in Houston and Granberry. One is working on a proposal and the other didn't return my call.
I've seen this subject discussed here and wonder if anyone knows of a competent contractor close to Brenham who might be interested in this job.
Long Live Sully
AG
Be sure to check out your roof framing to make sure it will support them. I looked into them years ago and the weight really surprised me.
abileneag09
AG
Consider a metal roofing product like Decra instead of concrete tiles. Lots of styles to choose from, easier to install, lighter, and much more weather resistant. Expensive, but not that much more compared to concrete tile.
Ikanizer
AG
Yes I am looking at synthetic tiles.
I have samples from Brava but can't find any contractors within a reasonable distance who have ever installed them.
I found a contractor claiming to be experienced with Decra coming to measure next week.
I have talked to a couple of others who have never installed a tile roof but claim they can handle anything, just need to read up on it. Thus my request for input from this forum.
TxAg20
AG
Good luck. I built a house with Hanson concrete tile roof 4 years ago. The installer did a crappy job. 4 years later I'm still unable to find someone to replace end tiles that have fallen off.

I did get one contractor on the hook for copper gutters and to redo the ridge and end tiles. They subbed out the gutters and never have done the roof, so it looks like I got some free gutters out of my efforts.

In hindsight, I wish I had done standing seem copper roof. We have a small section over a window and it has weathered very nicely. If I can't get someone to fix the tile, I'll try to find someone to rip it all of and do copper.
shalackin
AG
Brava is synthetic. It's a great product. It isn't very difficult to install. Just make sure the guys pop lines to keep the runs straight. It's just two nails per tile. Nothing fancy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.