Sudden loss of power to an outlet

1,088 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have an outlet in the garage that the FIOS TV box is hooked up to. This afternoon, the wifi and TV went out. After calling Frontier and going out there I determined the plug in no longer has power. It is a GFCI, btw.

I tested iit with my 3 prong tester -- the yellow device that plugs in and gives three lights. It came up with zero lights. Before I did that, I tested it with the no contact tester -- the one that buzzes when it "feels" a hot line. I also tested another outlet on the other size of the garage with the same tester and no buzz. The strange thing is that the light I installed in a ceiling recepticle and the GDO both still work.

Do I. just need to replace the receptacle? It is probably 20+ years old. What about the other one? Could the GFCI be affecting that?
Gigemags05
AG
If it's on the same circuit as a gfci then it will not work If the gfci trips.

I'm betting that some how the gfci is effecting this. Is there another gfci anywhere in front of that plug on the same circuit?
Garrelli 5000
AG
I'd also check to see if there's a bathroom you don't use often that has a GFCI that popped.

The master switch for our master bath (downstairs) is actually in an upstairs bathroom. Took me a few minutes to figure it out the first time it tripped.
Take the trash out staff.
91AggieLawyer
AG
It probably is a GFCI problem. None of the GFCI outlets in my house are working. I can't figure out how to "untrip" them -- I've hit the red and black buttons on each.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Boy, some electrician wanna be I am. The actual outlet I was having the problem tripped for whatever reason. I *thought* I untripped it but I guess I didn't -- I didn't know you had to unplug everything. Makes sense, I guess. Anyway,. after finally resetting it I reset all the other GFCI outlets and we're back online. Sorry to waste your time with my incompetence.
Garrelli 5000
AG
There are more painful ways to figure out you are not an electrician. I always see the spark a split second before I feel the jolt.
Take the trash out staff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.