Is there anywhere you can still buy an actual light bulb?

4,104 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by pants
TexAg2016
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Over the last month I have bought and returned probably six different sets and types of light bulbs to big blue.
What I'm looking for is an honest to goodness light bulb. No LED, No kinda looks like incandescent, no daylight bulb, no pure light bulb, no fluorescent, no looks like Thomas Edison, no "2300k LED looks like a real light bulb", and no "makes XXX Watts with only X Watts"!

I want an honest to goodness, pollute the air, energy wasting, heat producing, make Bill Nye cry himself to sleep incandescent light bulb.

Anyone know where I can still buy them?

I hate the amount of stupid light bulbs out there today.

</rant>
rlb28
AG
Big Lots
TexAg2016
AG
Good idea. Never thought of them. Haven't seen one close to me, but I'll search.
Potcake
AG
Were you trying for stars, if so go to Forum 16?
TexAg2016
AG
No.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I sell LED lighting for the industrial and commercial market. Satco is who I'd use (if I wanted to even sell a non-LED).

But let me ask you this: what are you not wanting an LED? What is the application?
TexAg2016
AG
I just can't stand the color. This specific application is in pendant lights over the island. I have halogen recessed lighting, and it looks wonderful. When I turn on the pendant lights however, which have halogen bulbs in them as well, the color temperature is vastly different, and washes everything out. Almost makes peoples' skin look green with the combination of light colors.

When I try the warmer LEDs, they don't have enough light output. When I try the ones with the light output, they look super washed out.

Now that I think about it, I think Satco halogens is what I have in the recessed lights. Do they make A base bulbs that would match the color?
TwoMarksHand
AG
You'd just have to look it up on their website to figure out for sure.

Also, they're still a little expensive, but some manufacturers are making LED lamps that have basically a dimmer that changes the color temperature (K). I haven't messed with them much because they are tailored to the residential market right now. But, one of my (lesser quality) manufacturers has been touting their 2x2's and 2x4's that change color.
TexAg2016
AG
I will look into these.
Thanks for the help!
Tecolote
AG
Potcake said:

What does this mean?
IronRed13
AG
Batteries + Bulbs
txyaloo
AG
TexAg2016 said:

I will look into these.
Thanks for the help!
If color temp is the main issue, why not go with a smart Philips or Lifx white bulb that allows you to adjust color temp? I have a number of Lifx "white" bulbs in my house. Very bright and adjustable from 2500k to 9000k. I keep mine at 3500k which is a pretty natural light
BrazosDog02
AG
I like you OP. I always bought my bulbs in bulk and kept stocked. That doesn't help you but I also have an old school washer and dryer that cost 300 bucks for the pair 15 years ago. It uses an agitator and **** TONS of water. It also actually cleans your clothes. With that inspiration I have modified my 15 year old toilets to dump the entirety of the tank in a giant turd flushing deluge of wonderment sure to make al gores dick shrivel every time you use one.

Find your bulbs, fine sir, good luck and god speed !!
ABATTBQ11
AG
I have a few 100w incandescents. When the efficiency rules were instituted, I bought like 3 boxes of them. I pull them out in the winter because they help heat the house too.
TexAg2016
AG
Do they change light output when you change the color, or just the color?
Because I bought a set that said they got warmer in color as you dimmed them which was in fact true, but the problem is you were dimming them. By the time they looked the color I wanted them, they were less than bright.
TexAg2016
AG
I couldn't agree more BrazosDog.
DriftwoodAg
AG
TexAg2016 said:

Because I bought a set that said they got warmer in color as you dimmed them which was in fact true, but the problem is you were dimming them. By the time they looked the color I wanted them, they were less than bright.
We have several of the Phillips Hue bulbs in our media room. It's great because you can the color and brightness to whatever you want. We have ours paired with our echo dot, so I can tell Alexa to change it depending on what we are doing
Dr. Venkman
AG
I stocked up on a bunch of these prior to them stopping manufacturing. I thought I'd use them, but found LEDs that I like. I'll sell them to you if interested.
Tecolote
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

I stocked up on a bunch of these prior to them stopping manufacturing. I thought I'd use them, but found LEDs that I like. I'll sell them to you if interested.
Brand, wattage, style, number? I bought a stockpile when they stopped thinking I then had 3-4 years worth and realized with a large house how many bulbs I really used. Only got a little over a year and they gone.
TexAg2016
AG
Hey now... OP gets dibs.
Tecolote
AG
TexAg2016 said:

Hey now... OP gets dibs.
I'm not trying to undercut OP. Think the question of number, brand, wattage, etc., would be of interest to OP as well. But, if OP doesn't want them, then I've expressed my interest. Fair enough?
TexAg2016
AG
Fair enough
cevans_40
AG
If you can tell the difference between incandescent and anything LED under 3000k, you have special eyes. This is coming from someone who has installed around 5000 of each
Dr. Venkman
AG
Tecolote said:

Dr. Venkman said:

Brand, wattage, style, number? I bought a stockpile when they stopped thinking I then had 3-4 years worth and realized with a large house how many bulbs I really used. Only got a little over a year and they gone.
I think I have about 100. maybe 60W. They're at another house. I'll be there next Saturday after Thanksgiving and will let you know.
Waterski02
AG
If you're not satisfied with modern LED lamps you're buying the wrong ones.

Although they do present challenges in some situations, I've only found one application they won't work and that's because no one makes the lamps yet...

Just this year we've done nearly 7000 of them.
1208HawkTree
AG
Waterski02 said:

If you're not satisfied with modern LED lamps you're buying the wrong ones.

Although they do present challenges in some situations, I've only found one application they won't work and that's because no one makes the lamps yet...

Just this year we've done nearly 7000 of them.

I have a motion-activated light outside of my back door that cuts to half brightness after a minute, then turns off after another minute or two. I've tried multiple LED and CFL bulbs recently when I couldn't find an incandescent in the garage, but none worked properly. Either it would go from full on to full off instead of full-half-off, or it would flicker like a strobe in the half-light part of the cycle. Replaced with a 40w incandescent lamp bulb, and back to normal.

I needed MR16s for my landscape lights so I added some of these 75w incandescents along with the order from BulbAmerica.
https://www.bulbamerica.com/products/satco-s3928-75w-130v-a19-frost-shatter-proof-e26-base-incandescent-2-bulbs
txyaloo
AG
TexAg2016 said:

To my eyes, light output doesn't change with color temp. Typically a higher color temp is going to be a more "harsh" color and may look brighter than a lower temp.

I saw HomeBase has 60w incandescent bulbs for $.50 each. Might try them if you're set on incandescent.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TexAg2016 said:

No. Lights are measured in lumens, which is output, and temperature, which is color. You can compare these when comparing bulbs, but the output and temperature aren't necessarily related.
Old Tom Morris
I bought incandescent for a long time, but it seemed like the quality went into the toilet and they were burning out extremely fast.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Tecolote said:

Dr. Venkman said:

They are Sylvania, 60W. I have 144 of them.
Tecolote
AG
OP, you're first up for ^^^
Kenneth_2003
AG
I swear I saw plain old fashioned incandescent light bulbs wandering through Target the other day.

I was looking for something else, but it was my first time back in the store following their redo and nothing was where it used to be. But right there on the shelf, were what looked like plain old light bulbs.
Good Bull Jones 17
AG
Tecolote said:

Potcake said:

What does this mean?

Forum 16 is the politics board. People get tons of stars there cause it's very popular.
Potcake
AG
You're semi-right. They like to virtue signal their disdain for anything they deem a liberal concept, i.e. energy savings. The OP sent several dog whistles that would have garnered him many stars over there.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

Tecolote said:

Dr. Venkman said:

They are Sylvania, 60W. I have 144 of them.
I still have these. Located in Houston. charles0608ag at gmail
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.