Garage Door Style

2,885 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Garage Door Pro
civilized05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the process of working through design features for a new-build and was wondering what the boards experience was on various garage door systems.

Currently, I'm looking to install the more commercial looking roll-up door like this

instead of the typical 4- or 5-panel units like this

Personally I like that I don't have to worry about an overhead track or major alignment issues that I've seen with the traditional garage doors. However, it seems as though I sacrifice some aesthetics when going with the roll-up door.

Have any of you changed one out for the other and what have been your impressions thus far? Are there any caveats to having the commercial style door? Issues with insulation, etc.?

In pricing these systems out, it seems like I can get the commercial-style door for about a 2/3 the cost of the panel door.

Appreciate any and all feedback!
Aggietaco
AG
Is this a home or a barn/shop.

I would never use an overhead coiling door on a residence simply because they aren't attractive. If you're worried about overhead space, you can address that with frame mounted openers and high bay tracks. If you're worried about cost, it seems odd that a steel overhead coiling door with opener is less expensive than panel style residential door.
RK
AG
you're single, aren't you?
civilized05
AG
Very much not single.

The reason I'm interested in the coil door is because the garage will be detached and set back away from the house. In reality, you won't see much of it from the street, so therefore a fancy door doesn't really do me much good.

I'd like to get a roll up door that's a little less utilitarian looking, but still maintains the features of the commercial ones.

Aside from the looks, are there any downsides to the roll up style doors?
bam02
AG
Not having the rails overhead would be a small benefit, but not that big of a deal (to me anyway). I've never really heard of alignment be much of an issue. All that to say there's no way I put a roll up door on a residence.
Aggietaco
AG
Just ugly. Best you can do is paint them a nice color and then wash them every could of weeks since they have lots of places for dust to collect.
MAS444
AG
Quote:

In reality, you won't see much of it from the street, so therefore a fancy door doesn't really do me much good.

Never thought of standard garage doors that way.
SJEAg
AG
Do standard doors have that many problems? I mean one may have one significant repair and a few maintenance things over 10-20 years? I'd think a commercial door would be a resale issue if that's a concern at all.
Garage Door Pro
Generally, commercial cost more than residential applications. This is to include repairs if needed.

As far as alignment, as long as the house doesn't shift a lot, and the residential door is installed properly, it should run great for years to come.

Also quality of the doors you purchase will be a factor as well.

Can you tell me more about what the space is going to be used for? Are you going to have high or pitched ceilings?
Aggie1
AG
https://sweets.construction.com/Manufacturer/ASSA-ABLOY-Entrance-Systems-NST2442/Products/Wood-Garage-Doors-NST482144-P?utm_source=newsletter&WT.mc_id=Newsletter&utm_medium=email
MAS444
AG
Does anyone know what the cost of a glass garage door is? Specifically, a small one....6 foot?
TravelAg2004
AG
Have you considered the costs/maintenance on a garage door opener for the commercial doors vs standard residential?
Garage Door Pro
What is the complete size?
16 wide by 6ft tall?
MAS444
AG
6' wide x 8' high. It'll be on the back side of the garage opening into backyard. Not our main garage door, obviously...
RK
AG
We are actually looking at the same thing but in 7x8 for our back porch.
Kenneth_2003
AG
What about a vertical bi-fold?
The mechanisms for these aren't much more footprint than the rollups you're looking at.

MAS444
AG
For my purposes (I realize you were probably responding to the OP), those obstruct the space too much when open. Seems like it also makes for a narrower opening. I don't see the point unless you've got some kinds of obstructions overhead.
civilized05
AG
Sorry everyone, just now remembering I made this post. As of now I'm looking at 2 - 10'x10' doors and 1 - 12'x10' door. 2 for cars and one for a boat.

I want oversized openings, because why not. It's a new build and I can damn well do what I please. Plus, trucks and full size suvs are a pain to try and fit through those tiny openings.

With that being said, after some more consideration, we'll probably go with the more traditional 4-5 panel insulated door. Overhead clearance really isn't a big concern anymore and I'll have plenty of storage space. It'll be a large garage for cars if needed and my boat, but mostly function as a shop.
Garage Door Pro
A full view door(all glass) 6x8, those start at $3,799.90 installed. We install in and around the college station area.
Chris Symons AGD
Garage Door Pro
Are you looking for traditional doors? Carriage house?
Chris Symons AGD
beachfront71
AG
Aggietaco said:

Is this a home or a barn/shop.

I would never use an overhead coiling door on a residence simply because they aren't attractive. If you're worried about overhead space, you can address that with frame mounted openers and high bay tracks. If you're worried about cost, it seems odd that a steel overhead coiling door with opener is less expensive than panel style residential door.

We have them.. in modern styled homes they look great..

For an attached garage if you get them with windows they look like crap.

civilized05
AG
I'm guessing traditional. What's the difference between the two? Are we talking roll up vs. swing out or more the difference in style/look (windows, handles, etc.)?
Garage Door Pro
Traditional is what you see around any neighborhood. The carriage style doors you see on a lot of the newer homes going up.

All are residential doors are sectional doors.

And carriage style doors will cost a little more.
Chris Symons AGD
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.