Gas fireplace not staying lit

956 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GarlandAg2012
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a gas fireplace. Towards the end of last winter, it wouldn't stay lit. I'd prime the line forever, get it started up, but a little while later, it would be out (along with the pilot light).

Any 'quick fixes' or easy ways to diagnose the problem?

Or should I break down and call someone out. (if so, any recs in the Austin area)?
cslifer
Sounds a lot like the thermocouple is going bad.
As long as it is getting gas I am not sure what else it would be. Fortunately it shouldn't be hard or expensive to replace.
AgGrad99
AG
Wonder if I need to clean around it...
GarlandAg2012
AG
I also have a gas fireplace issue. Moved into a house this summer and fired it up for the first time this week. The flow of gas through the log seems a bit weak and there is no yellow or orange flame, the log just appears to be covered in a small blue/purple flame. Any ideas? Anyone have a rec for a good gas fireplace company in Dallas?
Actionag
Had that issue in my house. Replaced about the whole damn thing before hypothesizing it wasn't getting enough oxygen. Installed a bigger pipe and problem solved.

If you're in DFW I highly recommend 1st Choice Chimney They came to the house several times and did not charge me for the trips or fixes that didnt work. Only for the final fix. Good people
GarlandAg2012
AG
Bigger pipe = bigger gas line?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give them a call.
Actionag
Sorry, I dont know the proper term but no not the gas line. The intake?

Actionag
On an unrelated note...anybody have mortar repair recommendations?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Gotcha. I don't think I have anything like this, mine is a gas log that is open to the living room.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.