Burying residential electrical.

1,085 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Kenneth_2003
Fleen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Relocating from a pole strung line to underground. Digging and laying conduit myself. Thoughts, earnings or recommendations?
Long Live Sully
AG
Is this a main service cable or simply a run for a circuit?
Cow Hop Ag and Bayside both say they are conservatives.
Bayside admits to being pro choice.
Bayside calls Cow Hop Ag a liberal because he's a moral man.

/ Charpie 4-13-18
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Rent a trencher.
Gary79Ag
AG
Also recommend renting a trencher and don't forget to dial 811 before you dig...
Fleen
Yes, main line
811 contacted, BTU line designer has already been out, left all spec. documentation. Going to use a trenches, a little worried about cutting through some tree root systems...
Kenneth_2003
AG
I laid all of the utilities when my parents built. We did this so we could specifically protect trees. Rule of thumb try to stay out from underneath the crown. Won't always be possible, but try to live by that.

Man I ended up with some DEEP trenches when the trench with gas & water with overlying telephone had to cross above the electrical. I think the trench was over 5 ft to get the necessary separations.

Buy a spool of "Caution High Voltage" tape and bury it in the trench a foot or two above the conduit.
Fleen
Kenneth_2003 said:

I laid all of the utilities when my parents built. We did this so we could specifically protect trees. Rule of thumb try to stay out from underneath the crown. Won't always be possible, but try to live by that.

Man I ended up with some DEEP trenches when the trench with gas & water with overlying telephone had to cross above the electrical. I think the trench was over 5 ft to get the necessary separations.

Buy a spool of "Caution High Voltage" tape and bury it in the trench a foot or two above the conduit.
Yeah, the problem is I need to run down the fence line and there are mature trees along the way...
JP76
How long of run ?

On a short run of 100 ft or less it wasn't much savings over having btu trench and bury versus diy when I've priced this before unless you just happen to already have an excavator or backhoe.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

There are derating factors for the cable ampacity if you go that deep for too long of the run.

OP, sounds like you are just concerned about your tree roots which a trencher will eat up. Only other option is to do it with a shovel (what kind of soil do you have?) and other hand tools and be careful.

Post your design. Depth, length of run, ampacity of circuit, cable and conduit size, type of conduit, etc.
JP76
Fleen said:

Yes, main line
811 contacted, BTU line designer has already been out, left all spec. documentation. Going to use a trenches, a little worried about cutting through some tree root systems...

Post oak trees ?
Dr. Venkman
AG
Never used one, but maybe a boring tool? Dig a manhole 2' down under the roots and run this through with PVC conduit.

https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/items/1435/trenchless-boring-tools/
Whoop Delecto
AG
Koko Chingo
AG
A few years ago I rented a trencher from Home Depot in College Station to do some drainage work. It was the 36" trencher where you stand on the back.

It went through heavy clay and roots close to max depth pretty easily. There were tons of roots from mature oak trees. It was also after lots of rain so the clay was wet. It was not really a problem trenching. It was a real pain to clean up to I could get my deposit back.

I would not want the trencher you walk behind. I do not know how deep you need to go; but, anything bigger will just be easier. The 36" stand on trencher was very easy.

I hope that reference helps.
UnderoosAg
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Use the detectable type about 6-12" below grade so it can be located in the future.
AgCWby90CS
AG
For the health of the tree, consider the percentage estimate of roots cut and take that much foliage out of the entire tree and it will deal better with the root damage. Less productive roots mean less foliage it can support.
CWby '90
Kenneth_2003
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

Kenneth_2003 said:

There are derating factors for the cable ampacity if you go that deep for too long of the run.

OP, sounds like you are just concerned about your tree roots which a trencher will eat up. Only other option is to do it with a shovel (what kind of soil do you have?) and other hand tools and be careful.

Post your design. Depth, length of run, ampacity of circuit, cable and conduit size, type of conduit, etc.

Fyi, we were in conduit and the design approved by thr electrician that pulled the wire and wired the house.

Dad wanted to control the digging to protect his trees, and the electrician was happy to not dig. Same for the plumber.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.