IC rated or non-IC? re: recessed lighting housing

1,801 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Towns03
Towns03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SIAP. I never have much luck with the search function.

I've built up the courage to try installing recessed lighting in a couple rooms. our house is a one-story with some thin/old spray in insulation between the ceiling joists.

After 20+ minutes of picking out the exact LED light I wanted from Home depot (lots of options) I couldn't find an IC rated, 'remodel' housing in their inventory. I couldn't even find the spot where they should be.

Is it important to get the IC rated or is that an outdated recommendation based on the heat incandescent lights used to put out?

TIA - y'all are an awesome resource.
UpstateAg
AG
I'm currently renovating our house and buy the remodel housings from an electric supply store near me. Try looking there because they have all sorts of options are are way cheaper. I talked with the counter sales rep about different IC cans and he said most remodel housings are not really IC. I still buy the IV stamped housings, but he doesn't seem to think it's an issue to use non IC rated.
Gary79Ag
AG
UpstateAg said:

I'm currently renovating our house and buy the remodel housings from an electric supply store near me. Try looking there because they have all sorts of options are are way cheaper. I talked with the counter sales rep about different IC cans and he said most remodel housings are not really IC. I still buy the IV stamped housings, but he doesn't seem to think it's an issue to use non IC rated.
As long as LED bulbs are installed...incandescent type, not so much!
UpstateAg
AG
Right. I always use LED. Duke energy even pays for them up here (once a year promo)!
Gary79Ag
AG
Do you have a Lowe's nearby as that's where I get all of my IC rated recessed can light fixtures?

My preference is "Halo" brand over the "Utilitech" as the electrical hookups are alot easier and you don't need to purchase and install wire gromments as their junction box already has them integrated into their design!
Gary79Ag
AG
UpstateAg said:

Right. I always use LED. Duke energy even pays for them up here (once a year promo)!
Totally understand, but the concern I have is when you sell your home, what then? New owners may replace a burnt bulb and assume it's an IC rated can. That's the issue/concern with installing the wrong cans as I see it! Just food for thought...
dubi
AG
Quote:

Totally understand, but the concern I have is when you sell your home, what then? New owners may replace a burnt bulb and assume it's an IC rated can. That's the issue/concern with installing the wrong cans as I see it! Just food for thought...

THIS x 1,000,000

Buy the correct housing!
Aggietaco
AG
Or buy non-rated cans and use a can cover or box.
jt2hunt
AG
If there is insulation in the ceiling where these are going to be installed you have to install that IC rated fixture
Towns03
AG
update:

after visting a couple different stores including a lighting store it sounds like there isn't an IC rated 4" remodel can. no one makes them.

I bought the Halo non-IC rated cans (H99RTAT) anyway and noticed a UL label on the inside with 'SUITABLE FOR DAMP LOCAITONS TYPE IC' on the tag. I don't know what that means, but it's interesting...

my problem now: they don't tighten against the drywall like they should. it's like they're made for much thicker drywall. I guess i'll have to shim them. The Nora cans I put in not long ago are much higher quality, in my opinion.

UpstateAg
AG
Are they the can with the PITA hinge/clip on each side? Those drove me crazy but fit in the firecheck I put in. You using 1/2 inch?
Gary79Ag
AG
Towns03 said:

update:

after visting a couple different stores including a lighting store it sounds like there isn't an IC rated 4" remodel can. no one makes them.

I bought the Halo non-IC rated cans (H99RTAT) anyway and noticed a UL label on the inside with 'SUITABLE FOR DAMP LOCAITONS TYPE IC' on the tag. I don't know what that means, but it's interesting...

my problem now: they don't tighten against the drywall like they should. it's like they're made for much thicker drywall. I guess i'll have to shim them. The Nora cans I put in not long ago are much higher quality, in my opinion.

Below is the description for the H99RTAT cans you purchased...made for installation in 1/2" or 5/8" sheetrock. And are suitable for damp locations like in the bathroom and/or shower areas. They are suitable for installing in existing insulated ceilings provided the insulation is kept 3 inches from all sides of the housing...

Regarding the shim comment you made, be sure the clips are in the proper position for the thickness of the ceiling material as I believe, IIRC, the clips are made for 1/2" and 5/8" ceiling material as long as the clips are positioned correctly when install...
Quote:

H99RTAT 4 inch Non-IC Air-Tite remodel housing is formed of CRS with a powder coat finish. Remodel housing can be installed from below the ceilling and includes four remodel clips to secure the housing and accommodates .5 inch and .63 inch ceiling materials. Designed for non-insulated ceilings or existing insulated ceilings where the insulation is kept 3 inches from all sides of the housing. UL listed. Damp location listed. Wet location listed with select trim options. Lamp ratings based on trim selected, sold separately.
Gary79Ag
AG
The below link may help as well with the clip issue...

Tips/Tricks To Get The Clips In Recessed Lights to Secure (Remodel Halo Cans)
CapCity12thMan
AG
I know someone whose house burned down soon after a remodel and canned lights were to blame...so given that, it will be IC rated when we replace any.

Aggietaco
AG
Free one-day shipping from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6BDQC4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=AJXBVINE72UI4&psc=1

Or a non-stock HD option:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-H245-4-in-Aluminum-LED-Recessed-Light-Housing-for-Remodel-Shallow-Ceiling-Insulation-Contact-Air-Tite-Ultra-Shallow-H245RICAT/303782387
Towns03
AG
yep. that's my problem - my drywall is maybe only 3/8", not 1/2".

good catch
Towns03
AG
these are good options! thanks-
evan_aggie
AG
Wouldn't recommend anyone do cans these days when LED pucks are 1/3" thick. Like our Levitons.
txag2008
AG
3/8" drywall? That would be unusual. Do you have sags between joists?
jt2hunt
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Halo-H27RICAT-Recessed-Lighitng-Air-Tite/dp/B004GHN3Z2/ref=asc_df_B004GHN3Z2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193989831776&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1635925257313963052&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026928&hvtargid=pla-312533805572&psc=1

Home Depot has these too
Aggietaco
AG
He's looking for 4" cans.
The Fife
Gary79Ag said:

UpstateAg said:

As long as LED bulbs are installed...incandescent type, not so much!
That's what I ended up doing with the LEDs in the kitchen. 9W or whatever doesn't put out much heat at all.
The Fife
evan_aggie said:

Wouldn't recommend anyone do cans these days when LED pucks are 1/3" thick. Like our Levitons.
The reason I used these was so I could go with a more standard 4" LED with an edison base in areas where I was going to use a lot of them. If one goes out it'll be a lot easier to find one of these than a puck LED.

In other areas yeah, I went with the pucks or pointable 3" ones.
evan_aggie
AG
I get that. I thought about future replacements etc.

having said that: I despise how all of the current cans are made and secure to the drywall whereas the pucks are easy spring levers. They also come in 6" and last 12-16 years based on the 25,000 hr life. In 10 years they'll have more pucks and thin wafers.

The Fife
Oh yeah, the three clips on retrofit cans suck without a doubt. There's probably at least a couple of them up there somewhere that are in with only two but since nothing looks out of place we're fine.
jt2hunt
AG
Your holes have to cut exact and if next to a rafter or truss it really sucks!!!!
JP76
Aggietaco said:

He's looking for 4" cans.

https://www.four-bros.com/4-inch-remodel-housing-led-tp24-connector-ic-rated/
Towns03
AG
wow! that seems too cheap. are they lower quality?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.