Toilet flange is too high - need solutions.

8 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by F Troop91
adamrod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a toilet flange in a second floor bathroom that is sitting more than an inch above the tile floor. I tried throwing a wax ring on the toilet, placing it on the flange, and using shims to level/secure it. It flushes fine, but it's not air tight. The toilet is sitting directly on the flange and I'm assuming all the wax got squished out, so no seal. Also, it took 3 shims stacked on top of each other to level the toilet base 3/4" off the floor and isn't a very secure solution. So I'm considering a few options:

1. Buy a thick sheet of plastic/pvc, trace and cut around the toilet base and drain, and use that to raise the toilet up above the flange so I can get a seal. Should be way more stable than 4 sets of shims I'm currently using. Thick bead of caulk around the toilet to hide it?

2. Previous owner had set the toilet on a thick bed of grout to raise it up. Considering redoing that.

3. Tear out the flange, elbow, and cut drain pipe, then replace it all the right way with flange at correct level. This requires tearing out some drywall in the first floor ceiling to do that.

Bonus: the flange is currently secured to the subfloor by angled screws since the hole in the floor is about the size of the full flange instead of just the pipe. Flange seems perfectly stable, but it bothers my OCD a little that it isn't resting on the subfloor. Fixing that would require tearing out the tile floor, and I really don't want to do that. Or I'd probably have to add some 2x4s on their sides spanning between the joists to secure the flange to.

Which option would you choose? Any better ideas?

Photo of a toilet:
http://bikinisandbrocolli.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/show-day.jpg
YellAg2004
AG
How long are you planning on being in the house? If the answer is not long, I'd go with #1 or 2 or something similar and let someone else worry about it. If you're planning on being there long term, I would go with #3 and make it right so you don't have to ever worry about it leaking (either water or sewer gas).

If you go with #3, don't tear out the tile and subfloor. Since you'll have access from below, cut a whole in a new piece of plywood the right diameter. Attach it to the existing subfloor from below and then anchor the new flange to that piece of plywood (may have to get some longer screws).
maddiedou
AG
No it does not require sheetrock. Text me at 979- eight two o- l87o. And i will explain. If in cs/bryan I can show you how itis done
F Troop91
Had a similar issue. Used three toilet base plates stacked together to get toilet stable and stop rocking.
Picked up the base plates at lowes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.