Garage door springs

1,372 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Broke a spring on the garage door.

It is a belt driven chamberlain and it ate the belt after about 11 years of service. I put a new belt on, after making every possible error I could. Worked fine for a week, then today no worky. The spring on the left side, when facing the house, is in two pieces. Not sure if it was broken before the new belt, coincidence, or I did something when I put the belt on. I don't think it was broken before today because lifting the door without the spring is something I would notice.

I learned how to measure the springs and was going to order the set. .250 x 2 x 32. Anyone done this before and have tips? Anyone know what a professional would cost? There is a lot of tension on those springs, so maybe it will be worth the money for a pro.
V8Aggie
AG

Don't mess with springs OP. Get a pro, it's not expensive.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Broke a spring on the garage door.

It is a belt driven chamberlain and it ate the belt after about 11 years of service. I put a new belt on, after making every possible error I could. Worked fine for a week, then today no worky. The spring on the left side, when facing the house, is in two pieces. Not sure if it was broken before the new belt, coincidence, or I did something when I put the belt on. I don't think it was broken before today because lifting the door without the spring is something I would notice.

I learned how to measure the springs and was going to order the set. .250 x 2 x 32. Anyone done this before and have tips? Anyone know what a professional would cost? There is a lot of tension on those springs, so maybe it will be worth the money for a pro.
Definitely worth paying a pro to do this.
agnerd
AG
Did my torsion springs and it was really easy. Ordered the springs off amazon and watched a youtube video. Didn't think it was that dangerous as long as you take your time and make sure the "winding levers" are fully inserted into the holes and keep body parts out of the way in case something did slip. Seemed about as dangerous as using a table saw. Never had to replace the ones that extend and retract.
AtlAg05
AG

I used this video when I did mine, no problems at all.
Mookie
AG
Hire a pro. My brother almost lost a finger doing this and he is very handy. No pun intended.
bam02
AG
agnerd said:

Did my torsion springs and it was really easy. Ordered the springs off amazon and watched a youtube video. Didn't think it was that dangerous as long as you take your time and make sure the "winding levers" are fully inserted into the holes and keep body parts out of the way in case something did slip. Seemed about as dangerous as using a table saw. Never had to replace the ones that extend and retract.

This was my experience. I've done it and would do it again. Very easy. Just as agnerd said... TAKE YOUR TIME! Stay out of the path of those bars and fully appreciate that going too fast will cost you dearly. The danger is very real but very avoidable.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Any idea how much a pro will cost?
Ornlu
AG
AAA Overhead Door in Bryan charged me $175 2 years ago.

Also included replacing the cables.
Guitarsoup
AG
I want to do this and raise my garage door. Currently opens to 7.5ft, but I raised the ceiling to 10' so I want to raise the door to high lift, so I need to move the bar to the ceiling.

However, the springs look way over torqued and I am afraid of messing with them.

Ideally, would like to replace my normal 3/4HP Chamberlain with a Jackshaft like the 8500X Liftmaster.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I helped my dad replace his in a 200+ lb wooden garage door a couple months ago. It was a good arm workout and if you understand where the potential danger is and respect it and protect yourself, it's totally doable. That said, if you can hire a pro for less than $200 that's a pretty good deal IMO. It took us a solid afternoon of work to get it balanced and adjusted just right so it depends what your time is worth.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I hired it out. Dude got me for $240. Probably could have found cheaper, but the guy replaced my parents springs a year or two and they recommended him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.