Smoke Carbon Monoxide detectors

900 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggiewes
chap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it's time I finally upgraded what I have in my home. Currently we have 2 smoke detectors, one on each floor. They are hard-wired (and connected to each other) with battery backup. I have no carbon monoxide detectors.

Should I replace what I have with combo units?

Should I add more?

Recommended brands? Installation? I know there have been threads here before about brands, random false chirping, etc.

Guitarsoup
AG
We just went through the same thing and went with the Nest system.

They do smoke and CO and you will get push alerts telling you exactly what is happening. They also test themselves every month to make sure they work.

If you have a Nest thermostat and one of the smoke detectors smells smoke, it shuts off your A/C or furnace to keep that from spreading the fire throughout the house.

Also, you can silence/mute them from your phone if you are just smoking up the kitchen while cooking.
Old Tom Morris
Yeah, the Nest are very well regarded, which is also reflected in the price.

But Kidde and First Alert both make quality alarms too if you aren't looking to spend $100/unit. I recommend either going with photoelectric sensor (these detect smoke from smoldering fires better), or one that is a combo (photoelectric and ionization). Don't get something that is just ionization tech.

It's recommended to have one in every bedroom and one in the hallway(s) just outside of any bedrooms. Personally, I have one in every room and hallway, except for the kitchen.

Interconnected is also the way to go.

What are your sources of potential CO?
cslifer
Do you have any fuel fired appliances? If not, you don't need the CO detectors.
akaggie05
AG
cslifer said:

Do you have any fuel fired appliances? If not, you don't need the CO detectors.

This also includes gas-fired central heat.
chap
AG
Heater, water heater, stove
UmustBKidding
Even without gas appliances/heating co monitor in areas where there is connection to the garage is recommended. People have been incapacitated by forgetting to turn their car. Off and closing the garage door.
Aggiewes
AG
I just went through replacing all detectors this weekend. Faulty detector set off the system at 112a Sunday morning.... Lifespan is 8 to 10 years and they always fail at night... LOL.

Anyways.... for the interconnected battery back-up, HD sells a 2 pack Kidde combo (smoke/carbon monoxide) set for $89.95. We had 8 detectors. 3 of them are now the combo.

Also - a faulty pool pump can cause carbon monoxide issues. The attached article has several examples.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article196355559.html

We also purchased a plug-in CO detector to take with us when we travel (about $25). It has a battery back-up. Bought 1 of these for both of our daughters. It will stay with our travel overnight items so we take it with us everywhere.

Wes '87
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.