Issue with porch column

1,112 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ChipFTAC01
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a new house almost exactly a year ago that has four two-story columns supporting a roof overhang over the front porch. One of the columns was slightly wonky when we purchased it but both our inspector and someone else during the buying process weren't concerned by it.

I noticed last month that the column was more wonkier and this morning my neighbor texted my wife that they had noticed it as well. We had a GC coming out this afternoon to price some work we need to have done and they took a look at it but I need a "column guy" rather than a "kitchen and bathroom guy" to take a look at it. But I really don't even know where to start to try to find a column guy other than googling "HOUSTON residential column repair".

Any suggestions?
p_bubel
{I see that you're remodeling, so no, it is not new construction}
Long Live Sully
AG
How tall is the column?
Has the slab under it settled?

I replaced some for a small church near me and it is not a big deal. You can buy the ones builders normally supply at Lowes.

These are the steps I took...

If the slab is fine and the column has just rotted or otherwise failed, take a 3x4 post ( or build up from 3 2x4s ) and using a floor jack under it, lift the roof about a 1/2" to take the load off the column. Be sure to set the jack directly under the framing and not just soffit board. Remove old column and replace with new.

Cow Hop Ag and Bayside both say they are conservatives.
Bayside admits to being pro choice.
Bayside calls Cow Hop Ag a liberal because he's a moral man.

/ Charpie 4-13-18
ChipFTAC01
AG
Not remodeling. Just called the GC this morning that did our kitchen and some other projects when we moved in last year to manage finishing our garage and some other projects.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I assume slab movement is behind it. It's probably a ~20Ish foot column.
TexAg1987
If you suspect a slab issue, call a foundation company.
Long Live Sully
AG
Yeah.. At 20 feet and with slab sinking that is something to get a pro to help with.
Cow Hop Ag and Bayside both say they are conservatives.
Bayside admits to being pro choice.
Bayside calls Cow Hop Ag a liberal because he's a moral man.

/ Charpie 4-13-18
Gary79Ag
AG
TexAg1987 said:

If you suspect a slab issue, call a foundation company. structural engineer access your situation to determine if you need a foundation company.
FIFY
Builder93
AG
I'm going to plead ignorance. Can you give a definition for the term "wonky?" It's not one I've used on my daily reports.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Out of alignment
mAgnoliAg
AG
Gary79Ag said:

TexAg1987 said:

If you suspect a slab issue, call a foundation company. structural engineer access your situation to determine if you need a foundation company.
FIFY
aggiemike02
AG
could it just be the fascia?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Pictures might help
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yeah, been meaning to rake pictures this week but every night I get home just in time for bathtime and it's dark by the time this kids go to bed. Maybe this weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.