Help: How to match up this plumbing?

1,796 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Builder93
wisdom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

sts7049
AG
looks like if you can twist that tee to the left you ought to be able to adjust the p-trap to get it to line up. may need to shorten up the length coming down from the sink as well.
JP76
Looks like you may need a 45 elbow coming off the tee on drain. Or cut the tee and swivel it.
Long Live Sully
AG
Cut the vertical pipe and you can set it where it will line up. Rejoin with a coupling.
Cow Hop Ag and Bayside both say they are conservatives.
Bayside admits to being pro choice.
Bayside calls Cow Hop Ag a liberal because he's a moral man.

/ Charpie 4-13-18
Rexter
All you need to do is cut the tailpiece on the sink
wisdom
AG
Thanks for all the replies. The photo evidently doesn't adequately illustrate the problem. The only adjustable part is P-trap. The big pipe to the sewer, on the right, is not adjustable (not with my level of skill). The angle of the photo may not show it, but the tail pipe and the p-trap will line up if the assembly was movable and could swing over.
Anyone familiar with flexible PVC. Is that a viable remedy?
Gary79Ag
AG
Do not use flexible PVC pipe or you'll be sorry later on down the line!

Do as Cow Hop Ag recommended and cut the vertical pipe on the right an inch or 2 below the Tee. Purchase a union and reconnect/glue the pieces back together after you rotate the top portion to properly line up the p-trap with the tailpipe so you can connect them together.

Also as noted, shorten the tailpipe a little bit so it does not bottom out with the p-trap.
JP76
wisdom said:

Thanks for all the replies. The photo evidently doesn't adequately illustrate the problem. The only adjustable part is P-trap. The big pipe to the sewer, on the right, is not adjustable (not with my level of skill). The angle of the photo may not show it, but the tail pipe and the p-trap will line up if the assembly was movable and could swing over.
Anyone familiar with flexible PVC. Is that a viable remedy?

This would work

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Slip-Joint-Extension-Tube/1070061

But it has a tendency for junk to build up internally on the flex part over time especially when used horizontally.

Unless you just want to cut and glue pvc
I would correct it with a 1 1/2 pvc 45 degree elbow coupling

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plumb-Pak-PP20557-Drain-Pipe-Elbow-With-Reducing-Washer-45-deg-1-1-2-in-Plastic/48040314?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=282&adid=22222222228035432949&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=m&wl3=75838448074&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-176145836434&wl5=9027891&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838817&wl11=online&wl12=48040314&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlcWLp7aH3gIVz7fACh3YuwEaEAYYCiABEgIhWPD_BwE
JP76
Gary79Ag said:

Do as Cow Hop Ag recommended and cut the vertical pipe on the right an inch or 2 below the Tee. Purchase a union and reconnect/glue the pieces back together after you rotate the top portion to properly line up the p-trap with the tailpipe so you can connect them together.

Also as noted, shorten the tailpipe a little bit so it does not bottom out with the p-trap.

I wouldn't rotate the tee. It would be easier to cut the 1 1/2 pvc reducer off and glue on a 45 elbow with new reducer
Gary79Ag
AG
JP76 said:

Gary79Ag said:

I wouldn't rotate the tee. It would be easier to cut the 1 1/2 pvc reducer off and glue on a 45 elbow with new reducer
Reason I went the route I did is because the pic doesn't really give you a good depiction of the distance between the 2 vertical pipes so I assumed rotating the drain line vertical section on the right to line up the p-trap section with the tailpipe would be the best solution. But that's JMHO. The 45 elbow may not work as easily as you note depending on the actual gap distance between the 2 vertical sections whereas rotating the right section to better align with the tailpipe would work regardless. Guess it's just my OCD kicking in seeing another coupler piece being added to this plumbing in order to resolve the issue. But to each his own...

And yeah, that flex piece you noted above and the issues with stuff gathering in the flex section is the main reason I wouldn't go that route. Did that before and never again!
Tecolote
AG
Sorry, got to ask - how did you get in this situation with it like it is now? And where is this located in your house - or...?
Gary79Ag
AG
Och26-58-87 said:

Sorry, got to ask - how did you get in this situation with it like it is now? And where is this located in your house - or...?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing...

Plus, is that romex in the background running through a metal stud with no grommet/bushing installed to protect the wiring?

Damn OCD...
wisdom
AG
Swiveling the p-trap is not a problem. The problem is the inability to swing the pipe to the right over to position the p-trap under the sink. Maybe I need to call a plumber.
wisdom
AG
Och26-58-87 said:

This is an outdoor kitchen. Just installed new granite counter tops and the sink is a different size and located in a different spot. The sink is rarely actually used, so, no emergency situation here.
.....I think I will look into the 45 degree PVC connections. Apparently, I will need 2 of them.
.....Again. thanks for everyones' replies.
Tecolote
AG
Gary79Ag said:

Och26-58-87 said:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing...

Plus, is that romex in the background running through a metal stud with no grommet/bushing installed to protect the wiring?

Damn OCD...
I noticed all those and a couple others. But, I did my best to temper my OCD in my question.
Tecolote
AG
wisdom said:

Och26-58-87 said:

This is an outdoor kitchen. Just installed new granite counter tops and the sink is a different size and located in a different spot. The sink is rarely actually used, so, no emergency situation here.
.....I think I will look into the 45 degree PVC connections. Apparently, I will need 2 of them.
Ok - if it were indoor I was going to caution at the vent cap being lower than the sink itself was a no-no - especially if it were say second floor.
Gary79Ag
AG
Och26-58-87 said:

wisdom said:

Och26-58-87 said:

Ok - if it were indoor I was going to caution at the vent cap being lower than the sink itself was a no-no - especially if it were say second floor.

BTW, I relooked at the pics and realize there is grommets/bushings in the studs. I was focused on the center stud when I posted but saww the left stud now so all is good there!
Gary79Ag
AG
wisdom said:

Och26-58-87 said:

FYI, they also make a 22.5 degree elbow if needed.
TexAg1987
The large vertical drain does not go anywhere but down. I would cut it, realign the p-trap, etc., mark it, then reconnect using a coupler.

Builder93
AG
Dodging the question. How did it end up so far off?
TexAg1987
He said earlier, New countertop, New sink, different layout.
AW 1880
AG
Go to hardware store, buy a bunch of different pieces, and eventually you can get it to work. Try to limit number of angles/curves, especially tighter angles.
Builder93
AG
Easy solution. Cut vertical pvc under the tee, turn the tee toward the drain and glue it back together with a coupling. Should cost about $1 if you have the glue. $5 if you don't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.