TV on a boat dock?

4,862 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Marvin_Zindler
EvenPar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We want to mount a TV under the covered portion of our boat dock, which is approx 150ft from the lake house. The house has directTV and semi-reliable internet stream.
What is our best option? Should we run conduit with both coax and Cat5e to the pier? Should we get a second satellite for the pier? Does direcTV offer something like a tailgater account?
Anydone this and have any advice?
big ben
AG
Get a DTV rep out there and ask their opinion.
AggieAdvisor16
AG
I think Directv has secondary boxes off of the main box that are wireless. 150ft is probably outside of the range for that, but maybe there's a booster or something?
Post removed:
by user
Hoyt Ag
AG
I have the wireless Direct TV boxes and one of them reaches 90 feet to my pool house. It cuts out in high wind and bad weather but I have been pleased with it.
bmc13
AG
use a roku and login to the various channel apps using your directv account.
EvenPar
AG
For those of you talking about streaming...do you recommend running a long conduit or do you know of a WiFi booster that travels farther than 150ft?
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

use a roku and login to the various channel apps using your directv account.
You still need a WiFi signal. I have a NetGear AC1900-Nighthawk to get a WiFi signal out to the TV in my gazebo. The TV is only about 75 feet from the extender but have never had an issue. I would give this a shot before trying to run wires.
Whoop Delecto
AG
bmc13
AG
i figured needing wifi to try that was a given. definitely easier to try first than running wires.
EvenPar
AG
We are going to run underground power to the boathouse so I figure we could run coax and Ethernet in the same conduit at the same time. Is that possible?
03_Aggie
EvenPar said:

We want to mount a TV under the covered portion of our boat dock, which is approx 150ft from the lake house. The house has directTV and semi-reliable internet stream.
What is our best option? Should we run conduit with both coax and Cat5e to the pier? Should we get a second satellite for the pier? Does direcTV offer something like a tailgater account?
Anydone this and have any advice?

Find a satellite dish and then add another box to the account at the house. It's been 5 yrs or so but I think I gave $150 for a dish and I think receivers only add $5/month to you bill.
burnerET
First, never run data/coax in the same conduit as electrical. The electricity can degrade the signal the ethernet and coax are sending. For wifi, if you go that route, look at ubiquiti uap-ac-m-pro. Its an exterior mounted access point. Have one installed outside on side of house. We have no trouble getting signal over 400 ft away.
EvenPar
AG
Thanks for the conduit warning.
That device you recommend looks legit according to the reviews on Amazon. Might have to give that a try.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Post removed:
by user
Koko Chingo
AG
If you are willing to run conduit, why not run it all down there -- coax straight from the dish (LNB), and cat 6 or whatever network cable. Use a good shielded cable with ruggedized connectors.

The coax will plug into a receiver for a high quality TV signal.

With the network cable, install a mesh WiFi system in your home too. A Ubiquity system would work really great. They have outdoor rated access points that will work in conjunction with indoor points. You will be able to walk around your entire spread with full strength WiFi.

If you need more internet bandwidth you could put a switch on the dock and attach the wireless access point and anything else (security cameras, smart TV's, Roku, etc) Just make sure you pay for enough speed from your ISP.
pnut02
AG
An outdoor AP like mentioned above would work just fine (especially with line of sight) - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1296855-REG/ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_m_us_unifi_ac_mesh.html

For farther distances, you could create a wireless bridge with some nanostations (overkill in this situation) - https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostation-ac/
agchino
AG
If he's already trenching and running conduit for power, would probably be pretty minimal add to run conduit for data, or he could get direct burial rated ethernet and just lay that in the trench next to the power conduit.

A 2nd conduit would give more flexibility in the future if a rat chewed through the ethernet cable or other failure.
big ben
AG
If your already digging/trenching, run spares, PVC is cheap
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Rule of thumb, if you're going to dig a trench, add a few inches and and 2 extra runs of sch40 pvc for future use

And don't run electric and low voltage in the same pipe. Ever.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.