Arc Fault breaker not tripped, but no power

3,614 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Absolute
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a buddy with a home built in 2005 or so. He has Arc Fault breakers on certain circuits. He has one whole room with the lights and the outlets not powered for some reason. I suspect one of two things:

1. Short somewhere is not allowing the circuit to complete. Most likely an outlet, but I pulled the covers from all of them that we know are on the same zone last night, and none looked loose, or burnt. (None are backstabbed either.)

2. Other option I was thinking of, was the breaker itself, but when I am on the LOAD side of the breaker at the panel, it is testing fine.

Anyone have any other ideas for things we should check? I need to figure out where the initial plug in the circuit is, so that I can see if it is getting power. I will check that soon. Then I will trace my way down the line.

Maybe a GFCI in the circuit that I am not aware of? Never heard of a GFCI being put upstream from a light switch, but I know some idiots do wonderful things when building homes these days.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I am on the line side of the breaker at the panel, it is testing fine.
Line side of the breaker is upstream - the panel bus bar. You are testing on the load side, right?

How are you testing it?
Aggieangler93
AG
Sorry...meant to say Load side. I am testing by contacting the screw on top of the breaker and the neutral bar, using a voltmeter. I updated my original post to reflect your correction.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Martin Q. Blank
All outlets and lights on that circuit are out?
big ben
AG
Check for voltage at the switch depending on the configuration of the house.
Absolute
AG
Something disconnected or loose somewhere. Start tracing the circuit and checking connections and for power with you meter.
Absolute
AG
Something disconnected or loose somewhere. Start tracing the circuit and checking connections and for power with you meter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.