Tips on Killing Army worms??

1,502 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by reddog90
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a Bermuda grass and Army worms have attacked my lawn. I don't know much about them, haven't seen as many worms as I have moths.

Friends said to spray my yard with dish soap in a bell end sprayer to kill the bugs. I did that this morning. Am also considering a chemical spray or granules, but would like to avoid poisons if possible.

What say you guys??
buddybee
What is your neighbor trying to do give them a bath or kill them. Use the following a few time to make sure you get the all. Focus on liquid insecticides like bifenthrin, permethrin and lambda cyhalothrin. But liquid insecticides like malathion and Sevin can also be part of the arsenal. Go to Producers Coop and talk to Dr. Bill Lazby

mAgnoliAg
AG
They're attacking everybody right now
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Southlake said:

I have a Bermuda grass and Army worms have attacked my lawn. I don't know much about them, haven't seen as many worms as I have moths.

Friends said to spray my yard with dish soap in a bell end sprayer to kill the bugs. I did that this morning. Am also considering a chemical spray or granules, but would like to avoid poisons if possible.

What say you guys??

Hey Southlake. Just go up to Home Depot. They have signs on everything that will kill army worms. I used the Cutter Backyard spray that you attach to your house. Killed em all in a day.

Local here.
Southlake
Saw the stuff at Lowe's. Triazadide? Both spray and granular.

Still, does liquid dish soap kill bugs?
Gary79Ag
AG
Southlake said:

Saw the stuff at Lowe's. Triazadide? Both spray and granular.

Still, does liquid dish soap kill bugs?
Here ya go Jason...

Homemade Insecticide for Armyworms

Some info from the article...

Quote:

Anyone who has seen ants in the garden knows of the military-style precision with which insects move, and this is the same precision that gives armyworms their name. These worms travel in hoards across landscapes, devouring grasses and plants in large swaths. According to the Western Massachusetts Master Gardeners group, female armyworms can lay up to 2,000 eggs at a time. Elimination of this tiny army before they can spread too far is vital to the health of your landscape, and if you don't want to use chemical pesticides, there are a few homemade recipes you can follow.

All-Purpose Insecticide

Step 1

Fill a spray bottle with 1 qt. of liquid dish washing soap. Pour in 1/2 cup of rubbing alcohol and stir or shake to mix thoroughly.

Step 2

Spray affected grass or plants with the pesticide. Spray in the early evening, after direct sunlight has passed from your landscape. Direct sunlight combined with this spray can damage the plants. Allow the spray to sit undisturbed on the plants for 20 minutes.

Step 3

Spray the plants or landscape area with clean water to remove excess spray, so that it the plants are not damaged the next day under the sun. Repeat spraying every three days for at least two weeks, or until the infestation is gone.
So it appears it does but you need to add rubbing alcohol as well...good luck!
reddog90
AG
There are about 5 threads on this on the outdoors board. I sprayed hose end sprayer of Triazicide about a month ago and had good success in my celebration bermuda. I had to spray again with Bifen I/T about a week ago and took care of the second swarm before any damage was done.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.