Carpet recommendation for pets?

1,392 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dr.Rumack
thirty-two
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We need to replace our carpet in the worst way... we have two small dogs that ain't the best in the "potty outside" department...

Anyone have a recommendation for carpets that are easy to clean and stain resistant?
ftworthag02
AG
none! Why don't you just do hardwoods and tile with few rugs throughout?
jtraggie99
AG
ftworthag02 said:

I am just guessing here, but I would assume it's because hardwoods and tile can be substantially more expensive that carpet?

But, to answer the question, yes, no carpet is going to be animal proof. Urine and liquids can pretty much soak through any carpet, pad, and even down to the foundation. If you truly want waterproof, you are going to have to go with something else.
Old Tom Morris
We put in engineered hardwoods (hickory - hand-scraped look) for $6/sq ft, which included install, moving, etc. Two and a half years later, there is still not a blemish on them, which includes withstanding punishment of 2 kids and a dog.

I know it's more expensive upfront, but from a long-term cost perspective if you plan to stay in the house for a long time OR for resale value, I really would consider it.
thirty-two
AG
We have engineered hardwoods in the rest of the house. The three rooms with carpet are two kids bedrooms and game room. I suppose we could go with all hardwoods and match existing, but... would prefer to go with a stain resistant carpet.
The Fife
jtraggie99 said:

ftworthag02 said:

I am just guessing here, but I would assume it's because hardwoods and tile can be substantially more expensive that carpet?

But, to answer the question, yes, no carpet is going to be animal proof. Urine and liquids can pretty much soak through any carpet, pad, and even down to the foundation. If you truly want waterproof, you are going to have to go with something else.
This. There are no stain resistant carpets that I'm aware of. If you insist on using carpet try and get something with no pad like commercial carpet squares.
JP76
With pet issues your best bet is tile. If you are dead set on carpet your best bet is cheap carpet because it will will need replacement long before it is worn out.
jtraggie99
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

We put in engineered hardwoods (hickory - hand-scraped look) for $6/sq ft, which included install, moving, etc. Two and a half years later, there is still not a blemish on them, which includes withstanding punishment of 2 kids and a dog.

I know it's more expensive upfront, but from a long-term cost perspective if you plan to stay in the house for a long time OR for resale value, I really would consider it.

Just curious, but what kind of engineered hardwoods (brand, etc)? I have had engineered in the past (that were already installed when I moved in) and some hold up great and can really take a beating, and others far from it. I'm just wondering what you went with if you remember.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Hate to admit it but our recent issues with dog urine in the house and resulting carpet cleaning bills has turned me from a dog guy into someone who'll probably never own them again. Just disgusts me now.
Complaint Investigator
AG
If you cannot get them to potty train via crates etc - I'd keep them on hard flooring in a dog play pen with puppy pads. Take immediately outside to pee when home and don't let them on carpets. It's always going to smell like pee no matter how quick you clean it up. Your guests will smell it as well.
Guitarsoup
AG
I worked for a major carpet manufacturer for two years straight out of college.

Your best bet is tile. If you don't want to do that and you do want to keep the dogs, you need to go with a olefin berber carpet.

Olefin is the material, and it is the cheapest of the four major materials that are used to make carpet. Olefin is also known as polypropylene.

Other four are PET (polyester - often from recycled coke bottles), Nylon, and wool.

Olefin, PET, and Nylon are all made out of oil/plastic. As such, the worst thing you can do is clean them with something like Resolve that is oil based. Oil+oil = base for dirt to stick. So you clean with resolve and then it is bigger and dirtier than ever before - that's the oil in resolve providing a place for dirt to stick.

Olefin is the same material that waterski ropes are made out of. Is is not as soft or springy as nylon or PET, however the big benefits of it are how you can clean it and the price. Olefin carpet is usually used to make cheap looped carpet. Examples are the short pile looped carpet in a church or office building OR the residential berber looped carpet. Something like this:

or this:

Generally, the bigger the loop, the softer it will feel. But it will never feel as soft as a think frieze.

Olefin is solution dyed, which means they melt the plastic olefin down, add the dyes and then solidify it, creating a yarn. They are very thin strings, but each one actually runs miles long. Because they dying process is done when it is a liquid, each yarn will not change colors. This means you can clean it with anything, and that includes bleach. Yes, you can bleach these carpets with pure bleach and it won't affect it negatively in anyway. You cannot do this with nylon, PET or wool.

So get a cheap olefin berber that is acceptable, get a waterproof pad under it, and bleach it when they have an accident. There are nylon and PET berbers, so make sure it is olefin (polypropylene.)
JP76
Guitarsoup said:

I worked for a major carpet manufacturer for two years straight out of college.

Your best bet is tile. If you don't want to do that and you do want to keep the dogs, you need to go with a olefin berber carpet.

Olefin is the material, and it is the cheapest of the four major materials that are used to make carpet. Olefin is also known as polypropylene.

Other four are PET (polyester - often from recycled coke bottles), Nylon, and wool.

Olefin, PET, and Nylon are all made out of oil/plastic. As such, the worst thing you can do is clean them with something like Resolve that is oil based. Oil+oil = base for dirt to stick. So you clean with resolve and then it is bigger and dirtier than ever before - that's the oil in resolve providing a place for dirt to stick.

Olefin is the same material that waterski ropes are made out of. Is is not as soft or springy as nylon or PET, however the big benefits of it are how you can clean it and the price. Olefin carpet is usually used to make cheap looped carpet. Examples are the short pile looped carpet in a church or office building OR the residential berber looped carpet. Something like this:

or this:

Generally, the bigger the loop, the softer it will feel. But it will never feel as soft as a think frieze.

Olefin is solution dyed, which means they melt the plastic olefin down, add the dyes and then solidify it, creating a yarn. They are very thin strings, but each one actually runs miles long. Because they dying process is done when it is a liquid, each yarn will not change colors. This means you can clean it with anything, and that includes bleach. Yes, you can bleach these carpets with pure bleach and it won't affect it negatively in anyway. You cannot do this with nylon, PET or wool.

So get a cheap olefin berber that is acceptable, get a waterproof pad under it, and bleach it when they have an accident. There are nylon and PET berbers, so make sure it is olefin (polypropylene.)

Berber is great for hiding dirt

Downside with dogs and cats is if they scratch at it enough they will separate the strands and unravel entire rows. Also can happen when vacuuming especially at seams.
WorthAg95
AG
We only have carpet upstairs: https://www.karastan.com/rugs/allpet/default.aspx This one is pricey though.

That being said, our dog is not allowed on the carpet.
Dr.Rumack
Throw down a bunch of carpet remnants and just take them to the driveway to hose off as necessary. Bonus is you get a variety of colors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.