Artificial Grass in DFW

2,487 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SynTurfExpert
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I moved into an older home in Dallas about a month ago. at some point, a previous owner hardscaped the entire back yard. Some of it is concrete, some is brick, and a large section of it is small stones (sort of like river rock) and/or crushed granite. It makes for a very low maintenance back yard but we want to get a dog and it just doesn't seem right to have nothing soft and green for a dog to play in.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with modern artificial lawn materials, especially those designed for dogs (and families, no kids now but eventually)?

There is also a large tree over the part of the yard where we would like grass/turf, so I'm pretty confident we want to go with something artificial.
CapCity12thMan
AG
https://www.linkedin.com/in/marco-gortana-627b5657

Former Aggie Golfer from early/mid 90s...should be able to point you in the right direction...

GarlandAg2012
AG
Have you worked with him before? Thanks for the rec
CapCity12thMan
AG
no, I just know him via golf, but know he does artificial grass/turf up in the Dallas area.

Beckdiesel03
AG
I volunteer with a lady that has it in the Austin area. She has a hyper young lab and also takes in foster puppies and says it is hand downs the best investment she has done. Has had no issues with it and the dogs and loves that it's so easy to deal with. So just in case you were worried about the dog aspect.
GarlandAg2012
AG
That's great to hear. Do you interact with her often? I would be curious if she knows which product she has specifically. There are a ton of different brands and types and I have heard mixed reviews with pets so I'm sure it depends what you get.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Let me see if I can track her down and I'll post back if she knows
ftworthag02
AG
Neighbor down the street used these guys but I haven't asked them if they were happy with the job.
http://www.wintergreengrass.com/
Garrelli 5000
AG
We looked into replacing our grass w/the artificial turf. The dog boarder where we would board our dogs and take them to daycare has a turf back yard.

Based on our limited research it's insanely expensive, to the tune of about $20 per square foot. That includes removal of old lawn, grading, etc. That's also for middle of the road turf - there are cheaper and more expensive options.

From what I've read some of the cheaper stuff can get so hot that children/pets cannot play on it during the heat of the day.
Take the trash out staff.
zurcaled11
AG
We are looking into this as well. I'd be interested to hear OP's research and some feedback from others in this thread who know people with artificual turf. Also DFW area.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Oddly enough, we're about to place an offer on a home that has no grass other than the front yard. We'll be looking to place synthetic grass down 1 side of the house, behind the fence, that is currently decomposed granite. This will be used as a dog run.

It's ~395 square feet that would be covered. If we get the house, i'll be interested to see how the pricing works. DG is apparently used sometimes as a base, and i'll already have said base with no turf/soil removal to pay.

If we get to that point I'll follow-up here w/the results.
Take the trash out staff.
SynTurfExpert
We've been installing artificial grass in DFW and around the state since 2004. I read a lot of questions in here that I'll answer quickly.

1. Hot turf - It doesn't get as hot as concrete and retains no heat so if a cloud passes over or you step on it the heat leaves immediately. We have it at home and my boys school has it on the playground and they do not complain.

2. The cost to turnkey install artificial grass should be in the $7.50 to $9 a sqft. I saw $20 a sqft but that would be from someone marking it up and not doing their own installations.

3. Decomposed granite is a part of the subsurface but it needs a layer of gravel first, then topped with decomposed granite. If a dog is using the turf and it only has DG as the base it will stink because the urine is not draining completely through.

If anyone has questions I'm a geek about fake grass and love talking about it whether someone uses my business or not.

Scott Armstrong
Synthetic Turf Experts
www.syntheticturfexperts.com

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.