brick wall extends past foundation

2,486 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JP76
Dr. Venkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at a house to buy for a rental. For the most part it looks good except for this wall. The brick extends past the foundation a little bit. Should this be a major concern? Also, I'm assuming that vertical cut was intentional?

Cromagnum
AG
Not the best work on the brick vs foundation. The vertical cut looks like an intentional expansion joint.
Dr. Venkman
AG
I'm just wondering if the wall pushed away from the foundation. I've always seen it flush.
BrazosDog02
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

I'm just wondering if the wall pushed away from the foundation. I've always seen it flush.
It was done intentionally. Typically, foundation issues are not uniform like that. I don't know why they did it, but I do not like it. The good news is that homes built today are not 'brick'. The brick is purely an aesthetic veneer. It has no considerable structural use. My suspicion is that the brick ledge on the foundation was not the proper width but there are many things/people that can go nutty that ultimately manifest as a hangover like this. Aesthetically not ideal, but it's not a problem otherwise. Betting it's not like this on all sides.
Ornlu
AG
BrazosDog's right: It has no effect on structural integrity because the brick's purely aesthetic.

My guess is that the brickledge (small depression in the exterior forming for the foundation) was supposed to be formed with a 2x4 laid flat, and instead they used two 2x4's vertical. Less-than-stellar concrete formers. so it ended up with a 2 15/16" deep brickledge instead of a 3 1/2" brickledge. And then the mason was lazy and didn't notch the first layer of bricks to compensate. The gap between the interior framing and the brick veneer might be an extra 9/16" wide, but this shouldn't matter.
62strat
AG
My house in Tomball was like that (and others around me). I thought it was for water to get out. Just like the bottom piece of siding will stick out past foundation. I had the vertical lines too, those are break/expansion joints.

Like said above, the brick is veneer, not structural.
Whoop Delecto
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
Cromagnum said:

Not the best work on the brick vs foundation. The vertical cut looks like an intentional expansion joint.

This. Looks like that expansion joint needs to be cleaned up and caulked. Might want to run up it with a diamond blade to clean up some of the mortar to get backer rod in and give cleaner lines when you're done.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Dr. Venkman said:

As others have stated, no. If you look below the brick, I'd be willing to bet that all of the mortar beneath the first course is intact and looks fine. That's how you know it is intentional.
JP76
You will see that happen if the exterior concrete form Is not straight or if the plate was cheated in order to create square and parallel framing or for plumbing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.