Bathtub Fixtures Repair or Replace

1,366 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by planoaggie123
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the other day we started having a small leak in the cold water knob (when turned on) for our upstairs bathtub.

I did a quick You tube lookup and the repair itself does not seem too bad but the fixture itself is relatively old. Should I be concerned about being able to find the right replacement parts (new washer, etc) or are the parts relatively universal and can be found at Home Depot? I would hate to break it all apart just to find out the part would have to be special ordered or maybe not even available anymore.

If they are not universal then I would lean towards replacing the knobs, faucet, etc but I am having a hard time telling how difficult that would be. I saw one video where they start ripping out drywall, etc. I would think it should not come to that in order to replace but maybe I am wrong? If I keep the same type of "system" (ie 2 knobs and not going down to 1) should it be relatively simple or have components changed over the past decade or two and I would need access behind the wall (which is tile).

Thanks!
ABATTBQ11
AG
AFAIK, if you replace everything wholesale, you won't need to rip anything out. The easiest thing to do is just take out the stem and check it. You can find o-rings in just about any size at a hardware store, so as long as other parts aren't broken, you should be fine on replacements.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. I assume the need to smash walls in is when you need to replace the existing valve which I would hope I don't need to or if I do they too are relatively universal? I may just bring someone in on this one...
planoaggie123
AG
Going with Pelayo Plumbing...they always do good work and always trust them to be fair...now only if they could expand services beyond just plumbing
JSKolache
AG
What brand is it? All major brands sell universal repair kits with various size rings, washers, etc. The seals are a wear item & all need to be replaced periodically.
planoaggie123
AG
Honestly not sure. Has been on the house since we bought it. Does not read anywhere obvious...there somewhere i can check that I am not thinking of?

Edit: The repairs definitely seem "do-able" i guess I am just concerned I will try and mess with it and will realize i don't have the right parts, etc and then our only bath-tub will be down for the count until i would be able to find what i need....
hph6203
AG
The worst thing that's going to happen is that you're going to open it up, find that you don't have the right part, reassemble it and still have a leak. You probably just need to replace a rubber washer, which can be easily found at a HD/Lowe's. If you need a new stem/seat you'll need to buy it online or at a plumbing supply store (more than likely).

I just did the same repair 3 weeks ago and it took <5 minutes.

Might be far out of your way, but when I had a leak in my kitchen faucet I shut the water off, took out the stem and took it to Teter's Faucet Parts. The guy at the counter looked at it for all of 2 seconds, turned around and grabbed the exact part I needed and asked if there was anything else I needed.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok. Maybe I will roll the dice and see what happens. I looked and there are no markings anywhere for the brand / type so I assume someone can maybe help when they see it. Teters is actually relatively close to my work but wife and kids stay at home so I can't leave them without water. Do you think they could guess my type via pictures?
JP76
Post pics and maybe one of us can identify it for you
planoaggie123
AG
jaggiemaggie
AG
I just did a repair on our shower that was constantly dripping.

Bought this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/PartsmasterPro-Propack-Assorted-Flat-Faucet-Washers-100-Pack-58304/300690285?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-204511132-_-300690285-_-N

And this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-5-Piece-Plumber-s-Socket-Set-with-Bar-Handle-45041/205807861?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CAll-Products%7CAll%7CAll%7CPLA%7C71700000014585962%7C58700001236285396%7C92700010802552406&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIivSau73r3AIVhbfACh0fCQc7EAQYASABEgI6zvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNHc47y969wCFU2GaQod-6sBPw

And this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-oz-Plumber-s-Grease-30620/203489444
hph6203
AG
They probably can based upon pictures. Take multiple from multiple angles. Pull the stem and take pictures of that rather than the knobs, the knobs may have been replaced over the years to something totally unrelated to the manufacturer of the stems. Honestly probably just need a washer though, especially if it's not a crazy fast leak. I'd start there.

This variety set should have what you need and it's $6.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-100-Piece-Assorted-Flat-Washer-Set-34441/100145028

If you don't already have them you're probably going to need a plumber socket set to make getting the stem out easier.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-5-Piece-Plumber-s-Socket-Set-with-Bar-Handle-45041/205807861?keyword=Plumber+socket&searchtype=text&semanticToken=2124000+++%3E++++st%3A%7Bplumber+socket%7D%3Ast++cn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D++cn%3A%7B0%3A0%7D++socket+%7Bproduct%7D+plumber+%7Brest%7D++dln%3A%7B565642%7D+qu%3A%7Bplumber+socket%7D

Edit: Hah, same suggestions pretty much. It's a really easy fix if it's just the washer that's worn down. You unscrew the knob and pull it off the stem, pull the stem with the socket, unscrew the screw holding the washer on the stem, add a new washer and reverse the process. Ten minutes the first time, 5 minutes every other time.
planoaggie123
AG
Really appreciate your responses.

Just to confirm, my drip is coming out of the knob not the spout and relatively slow so your guess is washed and not a bad stem? What would maybe indicate a bad stem?

Trying to be a little more do-it-yourself and I'm doing so I tend to ask a million questions lol.
planoaggie123
AG
Went to Teter's Faucet Parts just now. Just 15 min from where I work. I think I maybe annoyed the crap out of them (sure they are use to dealing w/ plumbers / knowledgeable handymen and not some guy that has to google directions on how to replace a flap on a toilet lol) but they were pretty quick to get me what i need...new stem, spout and plumber socket for right at $25. If this works will have saved myself quite a bit of $$$.

The one thing i was a little surprised about was the stem he had just sitting in a box right by checkout. I felt like i was reading online how many different types there are but maybe that is not the case or since I am 99% sure this is "original" to the home it is maybe a standard that is used on most homes in original construction....
planoaggie123
AG
couple more questions....

1) should I go ahead and replace the "seat"? Looks to be a minor pain in the ___ but maybe worth it while I am in there?

2) should the stem "move" at all? I read something that confused me where they say "open the valve on the stem" but that comment confused me. The stem that I just bought, at least via bare hands, cannot be moved in any way on any of the threaded sections...
ABATTBQ11
AG
planoaggie123 said:

couple more questions....

1) should I go ahead and replace the "seat"? Looks to be a minor pain in the ___ but maybe worth it while I am in there?

2) should the stem "move" at all? I read something that confused me where they say "open the valve on the stem" but that comment confused me. The stem that I just bought, at least via bare hands, cannot be moved in any way on any of the threaded sections...

It probably couldn't hurt to replace the seat whole you're there.

The stem is essentially just a piece of metal that moves as you rotate it in its housing. As it moves, it opens and closes the passage that water uses to move through your piping. That might be what they mean depending on the context.

Did you take the stem in to get it matched? They do come in different lengths and have different tips fighting on the manufacturer. I guess they could have known what stem depending on what you told them.
planoaggie123
AG
i guess I will replace the seat. In the 20 min video i watched just that part alone was nearly 10 min of the entire repair...did not look fun but probably the smart thing to do.

As far as the stem, I just showed him a picture of the outside and confirmed we had not replaced the external knob (which, if you see my picture, i can't imagine anyone would "remodel" and use that lol) and we are fairly certain it is original to the house as our downstairs bath had the exact same knobs. He was pretty confident it was probably Pfister. Once I get it off if by chance it looks different I will just go back tomorrow and show him what I pulled out.
planoaggie123
AG
Ok so ran into an unexpected road block.

I couldn't get the water shut off.

Even on inspection when we first bought but our house the inspector could not find a shut off valve in house.

I turned the main water valve off (or so I thought) at front of house (lighter color one which is further from house) but after 30 min later there was no indication that water was actually off (only mildly less pressure than before). There are two valves and I turned one off. The other turns but never turns on or off. Maybe that is the issue??? Would I need to call utility?

I thought water off would be the easy part....

Gary79Ag
AG
Call the city water utility company and they'll come help you out!

After further review...do you happen to have a sprinkler system, cause that looks like it might be the backflow preventor value for the sprinkler system...
planoaggie123
AG
Yes. We have a sprinkler system.

Will the city repair this or is this something they will say is my responsibility? I sent a message and will call them tomorrow. Nothing is ever as easy as you want it to be.
Gary79Ag
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Yes. We have a sprinkler system.

Will the city repair this or is this something they will say is my responsibility? I sent a message and will call them tomorrow. Nothing is ever as easy as you want it to be.
All the city is responsible for is the main line feed and shut off up to the water meter...from there on it's your responsibility.

From the pic you posted above, that appears to be the sprinkler system backflow pressure valve which they are not responsible for. Is there another box in the ground nearby that contains the water meter? That's where you'll find the main water line shut-off valve, it's where the meter is located.
planoaggie123
AG
Ahh. Ok. Now I feel dumb lol. This what I am looking for...

I honestly thought this was just a meter and the other box (which is labeled water main valve) was the actual valve. Wow. Learning....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.