Remind me to not buy another house in CPS' service area

2 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by adamsbq06
adamsbq06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moved to San Antonio back in October... Energy bills have hovered around $130... then in summer they jump to $300... yes my consumption increased but CPS also adds $0.04-0.06 just because its June-Sept...
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yeah... CPS needs to be broken up.
Ornlu
AG
Child Protective Services?
Whitetail
AG
CPS Energy - Regulated utility in San Antonio
"Change the culture. Make this community as different as Aggieland itself, in a way that others will notice and in which you will feel some pride, that we set high standards and we value them."
ABATTBQ11
AG
Basically, if you live in SA, you have 1 choice for your electrical utility. You can't price shop, and you're stuck with what they charge you.
p_bubel
ABATTBQ11 said:

Why?
UnderoosAg
AG
The CPS complaint line starts behind me, for many reasons, but be careful what you wish for.
p_bubel
Quote:

Energy bills have hovered around $130... then in summer they jump to $300... yes my consumption increased...
The problem is your house, not CPS. Their rates are below average for Texas and well below average for the US. I can't imagine there's much cheaper rates in any of the major Texas metros.
ABATTBQ11
AG
p_bubel said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Why?

They have a monopoly, so no matter how bad they are you have no other choice. Their payment system is archaic from a commercial point of view, and they cannot be relied on for **** from a construction standpoint.
adamsbq06
AG
no they add an additional $0.06 during June- Sept
UnderoosAg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

they cannot be relied on for **** from a construction standpoint.

Oncor, AEP, Centerpoint, Austin Energy, and Entergy are on line one. They're all pretty horrible with new construction.

saltydog13
AG
saltydog13
AG
Looks like their rates are $.069 kWh year round and then charge a "peak rate" of basically $.02 in the summer months that only kicks in after 600kwh usage for that month. That's still very cheap at less than $.10 a kwh

ETA: if you lived in college station you'd be paying $.14 a kWh or thereabouts. So consider yourself lucky
UnderoosAg
AG
what he said

adamsbq06
AG
Peak is seasonal and FUEL is as needed... still $0.04 more than I paid in Houston
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.