When is an air conditioner too loud.

2,003 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Quito
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just put in a new deck and covered patio. All is great except we can hear our neighbors air conditioner quite loud. I've tried to see if I can identify the source of the vibration, but can't.

I'd say it's 20-30 yards to my neighbors unit and we can hear it throughout the day. My unit is right around the side of the house and we can't hear it.

Is my neighbors unit too loud, or is this just bothering me because I spent so much money on patio/deck?

Ornlu
AG
Get a decibel meter like this.

I'd be upset if it's >100db outside, or >85dB inside.
hurricanejake02
AG
They likely cheaped out when they had to replace the motor... My dad did the same on his garage unit, and ended up putting a better/quieter motor in when Mom had to get out of bed and cut it off because she could hear it when trying to go to sleep (Dad refuses to wear his hearing aids and couldn't hear anything.)
Quito
AG
Neighbor is older recently divorced very sweet lady.

Hate to ask her to have it serviced or looked at. I never noticed it until this week. I tried to see if I could isolate a vibration, but couldn't.

I'm planning to build a water feature and wonder if it would drawn out the noise...pun intended
Picard
AG
Does it say "Goodman" on the side? If so, I found your problem.

Quito
AG
Picard said:

Yes! It's absolutely a Goodman.

Are they loud???
Picard
AG
Quito said:

Picard said:

Yes! It's absolutely a Goodman.

Are they loud???

Well I have bad news for you, and then good news, and then some more bad news:

Bad News: Goodman is about the loudest thing out there short of an A-10 Thunderbolt attacking the enemy. It's cheap, and LOUD! And if you think it's loud now, just wait until the heat pump kicks in. You'll think the Polar Express has arrived in front of your house. You might even hear the kids singing the Hot Chocolate song.

Good News: Because it's a Goodman, it will only be loud for a few years. Then it will go completely silent (when it fails).

Bad News: And for more bad news, the cheapskate that put in a Goodman in the first place will make the same mistake again because......hey........it's cheaper that way!
Quito
AG
This is very unfortunate and if true, very frustrating. It will get even louder in the winter???

We just spent significant money on a 500 square foot deck, covered patio, fireplace, etc... I hear the air conditioner every time I'm outside now. Is it appropriate to aske her if she wants to split the cost of a new unit?

JP76

htxag09
AG
I'm kind of confused by this whole situation....How did you not know the A/C was loud until after you built your deck?

Also, if my neighbor asked me to replace my A/C because it was loud and bothered them on their patio, I'd laugh. If he offered to pay for half, I'd take him up on it, but just because my unit is 12ish years old and I'm about to replace it anyway. If it was a newer unit, I'd still laugh.

Granted, I have no idea how loud your neighbor's A/C really is. I think your only real course of action is to get a decibel meter, as someone suggested. From their you should have a non biased number to know if you really have a gripe or not. I'd also imagine that HOA's or even city ordinances have rules regarding allowable decibel levels at night, etc......
DannyDuberstein
AG
Our city ordinance requires AC sound to be 65dB or less in residential areas when measured from the nearest point of adjacent property. That said, I'm not sure how most of the city isn't out of compliance with that ordinance when in the 'burbs these AC's are about a foot or two from the property line. In particular, I'm not sure how some of these loud, cheapass units get away with being sold at all in residential areas.

Definitely a dilemma because it would suck have to basically choose between enjoyment of your property vs. participating in a sweet old neighbor getting into a bind. But that's basically the choice here.
Quito
AG
I talked to her this morning. Her unit is not as loud as the one in the video above.

It is loud enough to hear. She is calling out an hvac. We are also going to look into a compressor blanket...do those really work? Any particular one?
agnerd
AG
It's too loud when the bearings are going out and it's a constant whine. If it's just the sound of the fan moving air, I'd say it's fine. Either move out to the country or put up backyard speakers.
BrazosDog02
AG
I think there is a fella around CS that has some stuff he can put in the unit to make it cooler....or quieter...or both?

I think he posts here.
CapCity12thMan
AG
We have a Goodman and it honestly isn't very loud at all.

JSKolache
AG
Since you bugged her about it, you are now required to invite her over once per quarter for beer, wine, laughs, etc.
DannyDuberstein
AG
and cuddling
Quito
AG
JSKolache said:

Since you bugged her about it, you are now required to invite her over once per quarter for beer, wine, laughs, etc.

That's a given. She's cool and makes our kids treats all the time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.