Overheating Elect Outlet

1,024 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ikanizer
Ikanizer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're trying to sell a 27 year old house in Sugar Land. A very nice custom home on the golf course.
Inspection was yesterday. The buyer's realtor sent an urgent message to my realtor:

"inspector reported an outlet in the upstairs bedroom study is not functioning. Inspector said it is overheating. Please let seller know and see about getting this fixed timely before any major consequences"

I'm in Colorado. My realtor wanted to call an electrician to go there urgently. I told her it doesn't make sense lets wait on the actual report from the inspector.

That room has not been occupied since my daughter moved out many years ago. I would guess nothing has been plugged into it in 10 years. It isn't on a GFCI circuit.

Any of you electrical gurus have an idea what may be going on based on the limited info above? I think the buyer is just trying to set me up to ask for money.
Martin Q. Blank
Tell realtor to verify it's not working/ overheating. Have handyman replace if necessary.
UnderoosAg
AG
99.9% of overheating is a loose connection. I'm curious what made the inspector suggest overheating.
txag2008
AG
My guess is thermal camera. My inspector used one on our home purchase.
The Lost
UnderoosAg said:

99.9% of overheating is a loose connection.
This. Cheap thing to do is just replace the socket. had to do it in a condo i lived in in colorado.
Ikanizer
AG
I pulled it apart today and found one wire fried where it was connected to the outlet. I cut the wire back, attached all the others to a new outlet and it works fine. Not sure why that house inspector detected high temperature at the outlet but it was a simple fix. Thanks for the comments.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.