Adding additional sprinkler head to a zone

1,172 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by craig09
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I finally decided to turn the sprinklers on at the new house yesterday to see which zones were where (not labeled), I noticed there was one area in the back yard that wasn't getting any water (probably a 4x5' area), and when I would adjust the spray of the heads closest to it, it still wouldn't get there. So, I'm thinking about adding an additional head to that area to keep it watered. I've fixed busted lines and replaced heads at my old house, so I'm guessing that all I really need to do is to T into the existing lines and run an additional PVC pipe out to the area I want. Is it really that easy, or is there something else that I'm not thinking about?
Long Live Sully
AG
Yes. Or you could replace the heads you have with ones that have more throw.
CapCity12thMan
AG
its really easy. We had a new deck built and a staircase went out into the yard and where the concrete footing went, it of course landed right on a stretch of irrigation line. I had to cut and assemble around it and it was fun and easy with about $20 worth of stuff.

Just think before you cut, map it out, dry fit to make sure and then prime and epoxy it all together.

The hardest part is the digging...

HeightsAg
The physical aspect of adding a sprinkler head is just what you described - trenching a few feet if necessary, teeing a new PVC pipe off the existing line, screw on the new head.

However you need to make sure you have enough water flow to support an additional head, otherwise the throw of all the exisiting heads will decrease so it might be counterproductive.

To measure your flow, turn off all the water inside the house and turn an outdoor faucet to full blast. Time how long it takes to fill up a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket and equate that back to number of gallons per minute (GPM).

Then see how many heads you have on that zone and what their GPM rating is. Add it up and see what you have left for your new head. Since the area that needs coverage is so small, you may be able to get away with using a low GPM nozzle.
aTm2004
AG
I appreciate the feedback. The area not getting water is located where a side of the house and the back patio join, so the options are limited IMO due to me wanting the water to go away from the patio vs. toward, so it looks like I'll have a fall project when the weather gets nicer to run a new head over there. The hose sounds like a good idea for the short term, but not something I want to do long term.
mAgnoliAg
AG
If your pressure is high enough and the zone isn't ginormous you can add one. When I do it for that distance it takes about 30-45 minutes. As long as the zone can take it you can run flex pipe from the closest head and it'll be the easiest way. You can bury it fairly shallow.

In short, funny pipe is your friend. Incredibly easy- look it up and buy all the fittings and a roll of it.
craig09
AG
Agreed. Funny pipe is the way to go. A head, nozzle, 2 barbed elbows and some funny pipe off of a threaded tee and you're set.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.