Garage Door Opener Issues

1,362 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgsWin2011
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a Overhead Door 650. It keeps stopping the door before it fully raises/closes. I've reset the limits and it works for 2-3 full cycles and then stops. I've also reprogrammed the openers but it still keeps doing the same thing.

Every time it stops working the 2 led lights on the opener are constantly lit purple. Nothing in the owner manual about this.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I've checked all the components of the door and nothing is causing it to catch.

Is the motor screwed or is there something I can do to fix it? Every time it screws up, I have to unplug it for 10-20 minutes before it will reset and let me program the limits. Then after that it's wash, rinse, repeat.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't have any experience with those, so this post is probably worth what you paid for it. That being said, I would look to the tracks binding the door up somehow. With the dry weather, maybe the foundation shifted a bit causing some binding. If the motor works for a bit, it isn't shot. It has to be something else causing the issue.
Gary79Ag
AG
Have you tried opening and closing the garage door without the opened arm attached to it to see if there is something impeding the travel freely in either direction?
AgsWin2011
AG
I have been lifting the garage door manually for about a month. It rolls smooth. Finally had someone come fix it today. They replaced the circuit board on it and said everything was fixed. Low and behold came home later after a few errands and guess what.... SAME $#l+.... not too happy right now especially after being ripped off for how much I paid.
JP76
Does it seem seem do it at only certain times of the day ? Like when you come home from work everyday around the same time ?

I've seen this happen when the sun hits the laser safety sensors at just the right angle and causes the door to do weird things.
AgsWin2011
AG
No it doesn't matter the time of day unfortunately.... I'm sure they will make it right and get it fixed. But it's still very frustrating.
Potcake
AG
Anecdotal, but our garage door faces west and we have had intermittent closing issues on 100+ degree days, in the afternoon/evenings. We just have to keep hitting remote till it closes. On cooler days and other hours, no problem. Maybe something metal expanding in the heat?
AgsWin2011
AG
The only reason I don't think it's the heat is because our garage door faces the east.
Bottomfeeder
AG
Potcake - had a similar issue and it was the sun hitting one of the sensors located at bottom side of door that senses an obstruction. Was told one sends signal & one receives. Swapped the sensors from one side to the other and solved my problem. Worth a try...
AgsWin2011
AG
Ended up being the encoder. It's the small things like having a working garage door opener that you take for granted. Glad it's working again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.