Home Table Saw

2,340 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chickenhawk
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I have 'hired' my son to rebuild our closet (he's build all kinds of furniture for us in Woodshop in HS and does a really nice work - also Dad is supervising).

Basically we have particle board shelves and wood hangers racks that are failing and that's all being ripped out to improve storage and basic closet layout (it's a narrow L and very crowded).

We've laid everything out on paper and he said the most valuable tool for the project will be a table saw to cut everything.

Family Handy Man has a good wrap up of saws, but I think the article is several years old as some of the models are NLA. Also, when I look online, the DeWalt all seem to look exactly alike and I cannot tell what sets the different models apart.

Any recommendations off that list or from HD/Lowes/Menards? Mostly crosscutting but also ripping 4x8's.
Post removed:
by user
Wife is an Aggie
You really won't be able to rip full sized plywood sheets with a contractor table saw.... You are better off using a circular saw and a guide to rip down to a more manageable size. If mostly everything else will be crosscuts then you might be better off with a miter saw + the circular saw for the rips.

If you do go with a contractor table saw route, just make sure you have proper infeed/outfeed support.

For a one-time weekend project the saw won't make that big of a deal, just make sure you have the appropriate/quality blades.
87IE
AG
THIS is the one I ended up buying after I got tired of moving my stationary one around.

toolshed
AG
https://m.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-10-in-Carbide-tipped-Amp-Table-Saw/50040968

If it's this saw, I have it as well and highly recommend it. I think the saw is much better than any other I've owned. The blade doesn't vibrate and leave saw marks on the edges of the cuts like other saws I've had. I feel like it cuts more like a cabinet saw. The gear driven fence is nice for fine adjustments with the lock engaged. The front and back of the fence are fixed to the mount, so I'm not worried about the back edge of the fence flexing away causing variations in the cut.

I really like the base. It's easy to fold up and move job to job. I feel like someone put a good amount of thought into it. When it's on end, the releases on the "lower" legs are easy to manipulate with your feet vs bending down and compressing a release like the "upper" legs are. Everything ticks away and stores easily, including the plastic blade guard that I never use. But if I wanted it, it's stored under the saw.

I've happily recommended it to several contractor friends as well. At $500, it's a pricer saw for hobby Work, but I feel like it's worth it for the results and a happy medium between cheap and shop saws.

HalifaxAg
AG
This is the one I own but this is almost the same thing (and available)

Worth every penny and more stable than the contractor versions. I have used it many times over the years for various home remodel projects...the only complaint I have is that the casters are cheap and you should buy some heavier duty ones before you assemble the stand (and screw them all the way in, seriously, all the way in).

The fence is accurate and quality. The sliding surface cleans up really easy if it gets rusty with a little 220 sand paper and an orbital sander.

But I agree with a poster before me, an outfeed table or a second set of hands is a must if you're planning on ripping plywood.
Chickenhawk
Get you a 3hp sawstop pro with a 52" table. I just finished putting this together tonight:

TexLeoAg
Pay attention to what "Wife Is An Aggie" said... I am sure your son means well, but if installing custom shelving you will want a miter saw (Bonus if you already have one). I used a basic Ryobi sliding miter saw and had fantastic results. Purchased a new 60 tooth blade and it turned out fine for what I wanted. And I Echo just getting a Kreg fence for your circular saw.

I followed info in the below link and modified it a bit. Probably not what you want but take a look:

http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/09/30/closet-shelving-layout-design
bkag9824
AG
Second a good miter saw if his primary task is cutting shelving.

Lowe's & HD both offer cutting services for sheet goods. They are technically supposed to charge a small fee after the second or third cut (can't remember specifically), but I've always been able to have a friendly conversation that turns into them making an extra couple free cuts. I bet they would be similarly amenable if your son made the request.

Just have your sheet good cut list in order. Their cutting tables/boards are actually pretty good for the task since the wood is stationary & they bring the saw down the wood.

Just a thought to save y'all time/money on a table saw.
Satellite of Love
I would rather goto a lumber yard than a HD/Lowes for sheet good and cuts. My Lowes' panel saw is old and has no laser so they can only eyeball it.

A lumber yard will be able to make rips and cross cuts with way more accuracy. Plus they will have quality ply.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
Aggietaco
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Get you a 3hp sawstop pro with a 52" table. I just finished putting this together tonight:

For the garages that no longer want to be garages.
Aggietaco
AG
I too have the Dewalt 7491 and can highly recommend it. I want a cabinet saw, but I want to part 2 vehicles in my garage more. The Dewalt was a nice compromise.
AgCWby90CS
AG
If all you have is shelving, a circular saw guide bought or made would work well to rip to size.

I made mobile bases for my old table saw and work bench so I could put them along one wall at the end of a run of cabinet bases with my mitre box and radial arm saw. Doesn't give me enough room to park inside along with '48 Willys but then truck is too long anyways. What it does do is give me more floor space for ease of maneuvering for different set ups.

Let's see if posting pictures works:
wall shot
https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAC10YOBjjDm8pDEnHfuNyiK4PlkrgqJx3A
home welded base for table saw
https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAA7jTBAOzmOW75XHUShISnS2yTjgHA0VRM
work bench table with mobile base
https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAAUEQvxmEIsNjVbn3jpTSTvsJRsiEHkkt4
and now for a try at a video that shows both in action.
https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAC_GQEnxfbCIsBEMTU3wp4zi6STAFY0-mI
CWby '90
Builder93
AG
Don't cut plywood sheets with a table saw, especially a mobile version. Cut large sheets with a circular saw and a guide.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

You just linked a guy asking about $300-400 saws to a $3,000 saw.
Post removed:
by user
Chickenhawk
Builder93 said:

Don't cut plywood sheets with a table saw, especially a mobile version. Cut large sheets with a circular saw and a guide.

Pfft. I cut whole sheets just fine on my tablesaw.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.