Home Warranty Repair Question

1,894 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Iowaggie
Gary79Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our neighbors/friends that purchased a home by us back in December of last year had their A/C quit working. They have a home warranty contract (American Home Shield) and called them to get the A/C repaired. An A/C repair company (A/C Rescue) came out the following day and determined the fan motor had failed and needed to be replaced. Took about a week to replace the fan unit and the system still didn't work so they decided to replace a circuit board in the outside unit which took almost another week.

After the board was replaced the unit still didn't work so they decided to replace the outside unit after several attempts to resolve the issue. After almost another 2 weeks, they finally arrived with a replacement outside unit.

Now here's the kicker...the original system is a Carrier brand 19 SEER heatpump system. The replacement outside unit they delivered for installation is a 15 SEER Goodman unit. The owners complained when they discovered this discrepancy but the A/C company wouldn't budge and said the Goodman was an acceptable replacement unit. The owners contacted the warranty company regarding the issue andin the mantime the A/C repair company threatened to leave without installing the unit as they claimed they had other installs awaiting them. The owners eventually and reluctantly acquiesced as they had been without their A/C system for over a month and didn;t want to wait anoother month or however long to get the issue resolved and are extremely upset about the whole situation.

This appears to be totally unacceptable to me, as well as them, as I and them as well would expect the outside unit to be comparable to the original equipment...ie, a 19 SEER unit for a 19 SEER unit, not a 15 SEER unit. (A 19 SEER unit is approximately 30-35% more efficient than a 15 SEER unit based on the research they have done) Also they preferred Carrier equipment as well but at a minimum, a 19 SEER unit. What recourse do they have if anything to resolve this issue? Note, the only reason they acquiesced to do the install is because they've been without a unit for over a month and the temps have been unbearable, to say the least.

The system was repaired on Monday and the next day - to top things off, the system had an issue (this morning) whereby water was dripping profusely from inside the system overnight onto the flooring underneath (the unit is located in the attic with the blower unit directly underneath in a hall closet) it and the water got underneath the laminate flooring in the hallway so they had to rip the flooring up as it was buckling and bowing up. The A/C guys came out and determined the drain line was clogged causing the issue and noted the damage was not due to anything they did.

The system has a drain shut off switch that I would expect it would/should deactivate the system due to a clogged line but it did nothing in this case. Is there a chance they didn't wire something right when they replaced any of the new equipment including a new thermostat during the repair process?

Looking for any input you guys might be able to provide to help our friends determine if they can get a like unit installation as expected, etc. TIA
sts7049
AG
gonna have to read the contract wording closely on this one i think, to understand if they are eligible for a like replacement or not.
The Fife
Quote:

They have a home warranty contract (American Home Shield)
Found the problem. Warranty companies and their contractors are some of the most dishonest things out there. I wish them the best of luck, even with regard to the drain line problem I don't believe what the A/C company said about there being a clog. Could've been draining uphill or they loosened or disconnected a line somehow while playing with the air handler. Or didn't use PVC cement, who knows.
fourth deck
AG
Can we please sticky this to the top of the board for the next time someone asks if home warranties are worth it?
Whitetail
AG
Could the whole issue have been the plugged drain line?
aezmvp
Trust me I'm fighting it out right now with Landmark. They're insane, like Great Benefits from the Rainmaker bad. (I will still be paying $1500 less at a minimum for the repair than I would have on the open market.)

That being said a 15 is not the equivalent of a 19 SEER. Goodman isn't terrible, it's reliability isn't what a premium A/C's would be but it is designed to accept generic parts at basically every point making it easier/cheaper to repair going forward.

My parents had a similar issue with AHS and reached out directly to the General Counsel (attorney) which had a great result. They had a new Carrier installed from their preferred A/C company in 2 days. However my folks are attorneys and I'm not privy to exactly what they sent them.
Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

Quote:

They have a home warranty contract (American Home Shield)
Found the problem. Warranty companies and their contractors are some of the most dishonest things out there. I wish them the best of luck, even with regard to the drain line problem I don't believe what the A/C company said about there being a clog. Could've been draining uphill or they loosened or disconnected a line somehow while playing with the air handler. Or didn't use PVC cement, who knows.

Yeah, wish I had been there when they arrived to resolve the drain issue as that's what I would have beed looking for as soon as they removed the cover. That's my exact thoughts as well as the unit was originally installed in 2007 and never had a drain issue. Ask me how I know...we actually owned the home since 2006, sold it to the current couple in December and we moved into a house 2 houses down the street. The system was very efficient and it never took long to get to the set temp.

They had replaced the outside unit and set the temp to 73 degrees at about 2 or 3 PM. At about 9 PM, it still didn't reach temp but was only at 75 degrees. The old system would have hit 73 way sooner than that time frame.
Gary79Ag
AG
Whitetail said:

Good question...not sure at this point but the fan motor definitely needed to be replaced.

I just checked the drain line sensor to see if it's working properly and it appears to be dead in the water. Didn't have a clamp on amp meter so wasn't able to determine if it's even connected in line or they disconnected it during their troubleshooting process and never reconnected it. Will check later today once the owneamreturns from a job with his clamp on meter.

The A/C guys noted they were getting fault codes at the compressor so the sensor may have been working correctly causing the compressor to not kick on but I have no way of confirming this as a possibility at this point. They did replace the circuit board in the compressor and and still got faults so that's when they decided to replace the compressor.

Personnally I don't trust these guys any further than I can throw them as the owner just told me that when he talked to the warranty company (WC) about the compressor replacement issue, the WC told him the A/C guys noted to them that the old compressor was a 14 SEER so that's why they approved the 15 SEER unit replacement. The contract evidentlly has a "Like" clause so the WC asked for something from the owners to show proof that it was actually a 19 SEER unit. I gave the owner a copy of the receipt with the model and SEER number written on it and they're going to provide that to the WC. Hopefully that will be sufficient to get this resolved.

Thanks for all the input guys!
JSKolache
AG
This is why home warranties are ****e. They choose what you get.
EMY92
AG
aezmvp said:

Trust me I'm fighting it out right now with Landmark. They're insane, like Great Benefits from the Rainmaker bad. (I will still be paying $1500 less at a minimum for the repair than I would have on the open market.)

That being said a 15 is not the equivalent of a 19 SEER. Goodman isn't terrible, it's reliability isn't what a premium A/C's would be but it is designed to accept generic parts at basically every point making it easier/cheaper to repair going forward.

My parents had a similar issue with AHS and reached out directly to the General Counsel (attorney) which had a great result. They had a new Carrier installed from their preferred A/C company in 2 days. However my folks are attorneys and I'm not privy to exactly what they sent them.
Goodman is terrible, it's like replacing a Cadillac with a Chevy Aveo.

Warranty companies are their contractors are terrible. Most, but not all, of the contractors that do warranty work do it because the business is circling the drain of failure. Sometimes the business fails because the guy doesn't know how to run a business, sometimes it fails because they are a crappy contractor and don't know how to run a business.

It shouldn't take more than a day to get a blower motor. Also, a decent contractor should be able to figure out what is wrong much more quickly and not randomly throw parts at the issue.
buddybee
Lesson Learned Do not buy a home warranty you get screwed. Call it paying stupid tax.
dallasiteinsa02

The contractor's actions are the direct result of the reimbursement structure from the warranty company. They have to either ding you for extras to make money or just churn the deductible fees. In most cases the reimbursement for the parts doesn't even cover the cost of the parts. To save money and to stop losing contractors they went to a centralized parts purchasing program. The problem is the time lag waiting for parts and rescheduling the contractor once the parts show up at their house.

OnlyForNow
AG

While the quality between what was there and what was installed may not be the same, the warranty company is allowed to prorate the equipment that needs replacing.

So a 10 year old unit will not get replaced with a brand new unit that is it's equal.

We had out dishwasher go out first year in a new house, dishwasher was 15+ years old, it was determined by warranty company it couldn't be fixed, they offered to replace it with unit XYZ, we wanted unit ABC. In the end we took the value of XYZ + a few extra hundred dollars and bought ABC ourselves.
Gary79Ag
AG
Gary79Ag said:

Whitetail said:

Good question...not sure at this point but the fan motor definitely needed to be replaced.

I just checked the drain line sensor to see if it's working properly and it appears to be dead in the water. Didn't have a clamp on amp meter so wasn't able to determine if it's even connected in line or they disconnected it during their troubleshooting process and never reconnected it. Will check later today once the owneamreturns from a job with his clamp on meter.

The A/C guys noted they were getting fault codes at the compressor so the sensor may have been working correctly causing the compressor to not kick on but I have no way of confirming this as a possibility at this point. They did replace the circuit board in the compressor and and still got faults so that's when they decided to replace the compressor.

Personnally I don't trust these guys any further than I can throw them as the owner just told me that when he talked to the warranty company (WC) about the compressor replacement issue, the WC told him the A/C guys noted to them that the old compressor was a 14 SEER so that's why they approved the 15 SEER unit replacement. The contract evidentlly has a "Like" clause so the WC asked for something from the owners to show proof that it was actually a 19 SEER unit. I gave the owner a copy of the receipt with the model and SEER number written on it and they're going to provide that to the WC. Hopefully that will be sufficient to get this resolved.

Thanks for all the input guys!
FYI...update based on what we discovered yesterday.

I went over and removed the cover to access the wiring for the drain line sensor and as I suspected, the repair company (A/C Rescue) did in fact disconnect the sensor from the thermostat wiring...hence, resulting in water damage ruining the laminate flooring around the unit area. Appears they disconnected the wiring when they removed and replaced the fan motor and just left it hanging when they installed the new fan/motor assembly. Should have been evident when they replaced the acccess cover panel as they had to drape the wire back itnto the unit.

Had they attached the wires, the sensor would have shut the A/C system down when the drain line became clogged. Instead, the unit continued to run and the floor was flooded so they've had to remove and replace it all in the entire hallway.

After reviewing the BBB outstanding complaints regarding A/C Rescue, it's no surprise to me and I'm sure they'll claim it was not their fault as they have already before we confirmed this issue. Based on the complaints, this company responds to complaints in an extremely condescending manner and lies through their teeth...
Iowaggie
AG
This guy works at every home warranty office.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.