Hanging child swing

1,346 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by toolshed
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife wants me to hang a little child swing in the back yard. The only choice is to hand from our porch which has cement board siding. Is it safe to hang from that or do we just need to buy a play set?
Long Live Sully
AG
As long as you find the framing beneath the siding it is. Are you talking about hanging from a ceiling that is covered in cement siding?
canadianAg
AG
Picture below. Not hanging from ceiling but more like where the light bulbs are

toolshed
AG
Measure from the inside edge of the beam (where it steps up to the ceiling height) back 1-1/4" and you should hit the middle of the first 2x12, or whatever they used to make up that beam.

Pre drill with a masonry bit, smaller than the threads of the lag bolt/ eye hook, and see if you hit wood above the hardi trim. If so, you can continue to predrill with a wood bit. It needs to be about or just bigger than the main shaft of the eye hook so the there is still wood for the threads of the hook to grab to.

Thread the eye hook in, hang on it a bit with your weight or something heavier than a toddler, 50-60 lbs, and if it holds, you should be more than good with two eyes hooks on a toddler swing.

This assumes they did a double 2x12 or similar header, you'll likely have a 1/2 gap between for the plywood spacer, unless they make their headers different with 2x4's top and bottom.

If you don't hit wood, the hole is small enough to caulk over.
Long Live Sully
AG
Safe to hang there. Use eye lag screws like this. 1/2" x 6" would be do fine. Drill 1/4" holes to start. They also have ones that have a rubber washer in the eye.

jamesf
AG
Something like this will make for a quieter swing with less friction.

Long Live Sully
AG
Yeah.. that is the picture I was looking for.
canadianAg
AG
thanks guys! Last question, is there a preference to positions the eye hook vertically at the bottom of the beam or parallel to the ground? I was thinking parallel but really have no idea.

Also will a stud finder help at all with ensuring I locate solid support?
jamesf
AG
There has to be something in that corner for the siding to fasten to, so as long as you measure back 1" or 1-1/4", you should hit something. I'm not sure how much a stud finder would be effective against siding. Those hooks are designed for vertical use, so I would just install it perpendicular to the ground.
toolshed
AG
Stud finders don't work well through Hardi well. I'd just do a pilot hole to make sure you hit wood with the eye hook.

The bolt can be perpendicular to the ground, through the bottom of the beam. If you put it on the side of the beam parallel to the ground, the chain may hit the bottom of the beam as it swings.

The max weight in the swing shouldn't be more than 30-40 lbs. My almost 4 year old is 40 lbs, and he's too big for a toddler swing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.