FYI - cheap GE LED bulbs

1,844 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oldvalleyrat
txag2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stupid cheap - BR30 65w equivalent LED bulbs. YMMV

https://slickdeals.net/f/11726975-lowes-3-98-ge-relax-6-pack-65-w-equivalent-dimmable-warm-white-br30-led-light-fixture-light-bulb

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Refresh-2-Pack-65-W-Equivalent-Dimmable-Daylight-Br30-LED-Light-Fixture-Light-Bulb/1000445147
oldvalleyrat
AG
FYI. When buying LED lights remember that they emit rf that can interfere with things. I replaced the lights in my garage door opener with LED lights and the thing quit working. Not realizing that they were causing the problem, I called the garage door repair guy and he immediately told me that the lights were the problem. He replaced the LEDs with regular old lights and ...bingo it started working again. Apparently this is well known and some LED lights are advertised as "not interfering with garage door openers!
OldArmyBrent
AG
My Home Depot had the soft white versions (non dimmable) on the sale rack for something like $.67 each. Sorry don't remember the exact color temp but they look like regular old incandescent color. I bought a ton of them but they still had a crate left.
HalifaxAg
AG
Never knew this and I have experienced the exact same problem. I put new LED fixtures up in the garage and a lot of them because I got tired of it being dark and dingy in there.

But, if the light is turned off, does it still emit the RF?
Flashdiaz
AG
HalifaxAg said:

Never knew this and I have experienced the exact same problem. I put new LED fixtures up in the garage and a lot of them because I got tired of it being dark and dingy in there.

I don't think it does, which is why it was hard to diagnose for me. The remote would work when the light was off (coming home) or if the garage was open for a while and the light turned itself off.
oldvalleyrat
AG
HalifaxAg said:

Very interesting question. When I tried to open the garage door with the remote it would not open (any of the remotes (both cars and the remote that came with the garage. The lights come on when the garage door opens so no open no lights! The wired button on the wall worked fine and would open and close without a problem.

I guess the answer is the lights would interfere with the signal that was telling the garage door to open so nothing happened. It seems to me then that the interference is there whether the lights are on or off. Another interesting point about those lights is that they get really hot and I noticed where they would melt the plastic on the housing.

I have those same kind of lights in my hobby room (I am a ham operator) and I don't notice any interference.

I am not going to buy those kind of lights anymore. Some of my friends have noticed the the OLED TV sets do generate electronic noise in their radios.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.