LG ice maker not dumping

5,530 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Scott95
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As the title implies , the ice is not dumping. The fridge is a LG side by side with the twist and flex design. The tray is full of ice and tries to dump, but the ice doesn't drop. I have to hit it with a wooden spoon and most will dump. If I don't, it keeps trying to add water and makes a mess. Read two things, first is that the tray developed memory and has some calcium deposits preventing the ice from separating from the tray. Second is some kind of sensor wires on the bottom of the ice tray. I don't know anything about that, but I have avoided hitting them with the spoon. Anyone got a solution, short of replacing the whole thing? First issue we have had with this unit in about 4 years.
ftworthag02
AG
Not sure if this helps but our LG French door stopped dispensing ice. The ice flap door would not open. The technician said one side of the hinge of the flap is part of the damn door so if you want it repaired correctly then you need to replace the side door. He went ahead and patched it with some kind of strap. Not sure how long that will hold.
Aggie1
AG
Had similar problem - no ice, etc...
Replaced ice tray/dump unit entirely for $100.
Several choices from which to buy on web.
unplug-replace-plug-in new/rebuilt unit easy task
No service calls and wasted effort and head scratching...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I think I am going to try and locate a new ice tray. If it is sub $10, then I will give it a go. Much more and I will probably swap the whole thing out.
Scott95
AG
Happens to mine every 3 or 4 months. The issue for us is the ice maker and storage temporarily not being as cold from either having the freezer open too long when putting away groceries or piling so much in the freezer that it blocks the cold air ports delivering air through the door channels. It causes the the ice to melt near the top of the tray forming a solid top layer of ice that the flexing action wont crack. I have to pour hot water on, manually empty the tray with the button on the side, then its fine for months until the wife or kids do it again.
Scott95
AG
And I have the same french door LG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.