Murphy Beds... Anyone tackled one of these?

3,455 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by lotsofhp
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've done the google. I know about the kits for the mechanism. I'm curious if anyone has made one of these here. Just moved into a new house and the "study" is a 4th bedroom right now. That bed only gets used maybe 8-10 nights per year so I'd really like to be able to fold it up. I'd like to make a little built in storage around it. Something like this...

toolshed
AG

Here's the one we did. I didn't want to mess with doors over the bed at this point so my wife made curtains to go with the other curtains in the room. It's in a kids room (as an extra guest bed) in our house, which will eventually become a rent house, so we intend to take it all with us to the next house. Bought the Murphy frame and had my cabinet guy make the cabinets around it.
Aggietaco
AG
Looks good, toolshed.

We just went the sleeper sofa route in our spare room/play room after I looked into a murphy bed for a while. I just decided the 12-14" of depth it took up on the walls was too much for a 8'x11' room.
toolshed
AG
Ours does take up a bit of space that could be used for a single or twin bed. Right now our four year old just has a toddler bed in the other corner. If we need to upgrade beds before we upgrade houses, we will have to get rid of something in there, probably the cabinet we used as a changing table that stores his bedding and such now. But we wanted to maximize floor space in the middle for him to play. And we only have three bedrooms in this house, so when family comes, we use the Murphy bed for them. It works for now.
JP76
I've removed more of them than installed. But if you decide you want one it's far less headache to buy the kit versus trying to build it from scratch. Also for only 8-10 nights a year a quality air mattress would be my choice if space and cost are your primary concerns.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FAW4O0A/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
BrazosDog02
AG
I use these. They fit in your closet. Plus, setting them up makes you into a man. Even better is that people that arent used to them don't want to sleep on them for more than 1 or 2 nights, which is an added bonus.

ChiefHaus
True, you can even outfit it with a nice mosquito net in case there are flying critters in your house.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
we had one built like the top picture with cabinets on sides and Queen bed in middle. I would encourage an extra support bar/wood brace at the bottom back of bed area, the movement of our side panel caused the spring mechanism to pop out of its housing. the builder came out and added two supports and no more issues

it was a great way to have guest bed out of the way most of the time
yaterag
AG
My parents bought a kit from this site and the quality was top notch. If you decide you don't want to build one check them out.

https://bredabeds.com
dubi
AG
We just have a twin bed with a trundle.
p_bubel
yaterag said:

My parents bought a kit from this site and the quality was top notch. If you decide you don't want to build one check them out.

https://bredabeds.com

Thanks!
FTAG 2000
AG
Make sure it's mounted to studs. But I wouldn't do one. Have a family friend who had a contractor out one in. He didn't anchor to studs. Bed fell on the wife and broke her neck, paralyzed her.

Ain't worth it
irish pete ag06
AG
AG 2000' said:

Make sure it's mounted to studs. But I wouldn't do one. Have a family friend who had a contractor out one in. He didn't anchor to studs. Bed fell on the wife and broke her neck, paralyzed her.

Ain't worth it

BrazosDog02
AG
ChiefHaus said:

True, you can even outfit it with a nice mosquito net in case there are flying critters in your house.
baumenhammer
AG
I made one a few year back. Was tired of a queen bed in a guest room taking up space that could otherwise be my office.

The kit was a piece of cake. I modified the style a bit, to add a fold out desk under the bed frame, and added side cabinets.

The hardest thing was a design flaw i made in the cabinets. I had hoped to reuse some cabinet doors i had from an old entertainment center, but couldn't match the stain, and couldn't find a router bit that matched the profile. So i shifted gears and went to full inset shaker doors, without a face frame on the cabinet. It was a HUGE pain to get the gaps even.

Still one of the better projects ive done, and we're pleased with the results, and having a guest bed that s just as comfortable as a regular bed, but not taking up around 40 sqft year round, for the 5ish nights a year my parents come visit.
irish pete ag06
AG
baumenhammer said:

I made one a few year back. Was tired of a queen bed in a guest room taking up space that could otherwise be my office.

The kit was a piece of cake. I modified the style a bit, to add a fold out desk under the bed frame, and added side cabinets.

The hardest thing was a design flaw i made in the cabinets. I had hoped to reuse some cabinet doors i had from an old entertainment center, but couldn't match the stain, and couldn't find a router bit that matched the profile. So i shifted gears and went to full inset shaker doors, without a face frame on the cabinet. It was a HUGE pain to get the gaps even.

Still one of the better projects ive done, and we're pleased with the results, and having a guest bed that s just as comfortable as a regular bed, but not taking up around 40 sqft year round, for the 5ish nights a year my parents come visit.

Awesome. Ours is in our "office" also so we want to do the exact same thing. I also wanted to build some cabinets around the bed.
baumenhammer
AG
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/X7TaebN

(I havent posted a pic on texags in years... Im likely not doing it right...)

In the old house, it was in the office, now, its my wifes desk in the kids school room - note the adjustable height wall mounted kids desk to the right. (Crazy homescholers here)
baumenhammer
AG
I do agree with ag2000, anchor the CRAP out of it.

I took it down to move it to our new house a few years back, and made a really dumb move when it came to removing those stud anchors, and it tried to eat me.

Thankfully it was my leg and not my neck like the other guy said... But it hurt like hell.

I had (and still do) it anchored with copious redundancy... But just was an idiot when taking it down.

Whether the kit uses springs or pneumatic cylinders for counter weight (like mine) youve GOT to respect the power that it contains...

If you do it right, its safe in both states. But installing and taking it down is tricky business.
dubi
AG
baumenhammer said:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/X7TaebN

(I havent posted a pic on texags in years... Im likely not doing it right...)

In the old house, it was in the office, now, its my wifes desk in the kids school room - note the adjustable height wall mounted kids desk to the right. (Crazy homescholers here)
lotsofhp
AG
AG 2000' said:

Ain't worth it

That's a horrible story. So sorry for the wife
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.