Pressure Treated wood on family bench and tables?

1,875 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chickenhawk
Flashdiaz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
would you use pressure treated wood to build benches and tables?

I know pt wood used to have arsenic in it but that was replaced with 'safer' chemicals in 2002.

agnerd
AG
Benches, yes. Anything I'm eating off of would be cedar. Maybe PT frame, but cedar top.
Aggie1
AG
Depends on what kind of "pressure treatment" was used - i.e., what chemical...
...and what kind of wood...

Penta, Wolmanized, Creosote, "YellaWood" (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc)
...and what kind of wood

real redwood, cedar, etc., is inherently bug and rot proof even without preservatives...

and don't forget oil based stains soak into wood grains and do an excellent job of preserving wood that may or may not have been pressure treated...

and nowadays, there are other "wood look" alternatives made out of reclaimed rubber, plastics, etc., that will never rot...

Lot's of choices
will.mcg
AG
I wouldn't use pressure treated wood for any furniture that will stay indoors. I wouldn't worry about using it for something such as an outdoor picnic type table.
Builder93
AG
You could always use one of these:

BrazosDog02
AG
Ill use the proper wood for the environment in which it will be expected to operate. If that is treated, so be it. That won't be what kills you these days.
Chickenhawk
Use whatever wood you want (minus pt)
Finish with emtech 9300
????
Profit
Flashdiaz
AG
GeorgiaAg85 said:

Use whatever wood you want (minus pt)
Finish with emtech 9300
????
Profit

sounds interesting.

The furniture is going to be by a pool so there's going to be a lot of skin contact with kids. I'm going to go ahead and just use Cedar just because I haven't worked with it much and like the look of it.

Any idea if the emtech will keep the wood from aging and turning gray on its own? I suspect i'll need to stain it to block out the uv then put the emtech over it.
Chickenhawk
I dont have any long term data on exposure to moisture/uv, but target coatings makes finishes for almost every application you can think of.

The 9300 is a polycarbonate urethane, and self sealing. So essentially stain (in order to protect from uv exposure) is redundant because that is the exact application for that particular finish.

So with that being said, yes, it will keep the wood from going gray as long as the finish is in tact.
Ikanizer
AG
I have used water based polyurethane as a top coat for several stained wood projects including kitchen counter tops and exterior doors. I have used Minwax, General Finishes and one other brand that I can't recall. I"m not sure but suspect the product you are discussing is similar. I couldn't tell a difference in the three brands that I have used. Results are outstanding in terms of weather resistance and looks. Much easier to use than oil based polyurethane and it seems to be just as durable. I've never tried it on pressure treated wood.
Aggietaco
AG
Any clear sealer will not stop wood from loosing color due to UV exposure.
Chickenhawk
Aggietaco said:

Any clear sealer will not stop wood from loosing color due to UV exposure.

So then would stain plus the clear coat help mitigate that?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.