Cabinet Brands and Quality?

1,684 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Chickenhawk
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious if anyone has strong opinions or "in-the-know" info about cabinet makers. I'm working with a kitchen design company that uses Norcraft brands: Mid-Continent, Ultracraft. I had a quote from them, and one from Lowe's using Kraftmaid.

Our cabinets are going to be painted white, and for the most part, I can only see minor differences in the cabinets on the whole. I wasn't a huge fan of the Diamond line from Lowes. The soft-close doors were insanely slow, and that was true for Schuler as well.

My MC cabinets have been configured with full-overlay, and 5/8 plywood boxes/frames and maple doors that will be finished. I've been told more of the importance lies within the cabinet installation itself versus the brand...
txaggrad1994
AG
What your being told is correct. Installation will make or break the project. Cabinet box construction is very similar along all lines of cabinetry manufacturers. Sure, you might get thicker sides, etc... from one brand to the next, but what does it really matter? At Lowe's and Depot you are getting a lifetime warranty with any brand you purchase (special order). Once they're installed, you will only care about how they look.

So, in my opinion, i would go with the brand you think looks best. Meaning the parts of the cabinet you see, which is the doors, drawer fronts, and face frames. If your going with paint, know that joint lines are going to be visible and that is totally normal, not a quality defect, although some brands have different tolerances than others regarding size of joints, etc...

Gary79Ag
AG
Go with soft close drawers and door hinges as once you go that route, you'll never go back to normal ones!
evan_aggie
AG
They all come with soft close these days.

I'm going Mid-Continent over Kraftmaid, mostly bc of the installer
Chickenhawk
If you are getting frameless cabinets, dont be surprised if your doors shift a bit and quit matching up after a few years.
evan_aggie
AG
We decided to stick with classic 5 panel door frame cabinets. Very excited to see the transformation

Should look similar to this, but different doors.

Chickenhawk
Looks good.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Piggy-backing on this thread.

I want to add a single pantry cabinet to my kitchen (current layout doesn't have one and has an open space for it). I want a single unfinished pantry cabinet that has to fit a specific size (24" deep, 32" wide, 64" height), I can paint it to match the rest of the kitchen cabinets.

My issue is I'm struggling to find unfinished cabinets to fit, does anyone know of a good place to buy these? Lots of options if I want an entire kitchen, but I can't find a place that will sell just one unit at a reasonable price. I've checked the off-the-shelf prebuilt items at Home Depot, but the pantry ones are too tall (and crappy materials as well).

Is my best bet just attempting to build it myself?
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Also, it seems like all "ready to assemble" cabinets online come painted/finished. It's near impossible to find unfinished cabinets.
Chickenhawk
Just google a custom cabinet maker in your area.

I'd build it for you, but I doubt you live near me.
Chickenhawk
That is because their target market is a wide swath of folks. Again, find a custom cabinet maker in your area and just ask for them to be unfinished.

I'd love it if more of my customers would ask for unfinished cabinets. That is the part of the build I spend most of my time on(which, coincidentally, is the bulk of what you pay a cabinet maker for).

I can crank out ready to finish boxes like nobody's business...but I'm so particular about the quality of the finish I spend a few days getting it just right.
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think about going the local route. I guess I just assumed it wouldn't make sense financially unless I was buying an entire kitchen.

Any chance you know of anyone good in Houston? Or anyone else on this board have a recommendation? Google sent me to Louis at My-Cabinet-Source in the Heights, I'll try there first.
Chickenhawk
Sorry, dont know of anyone in houston.

Just to give you a heads up, you might get ahold of a few guys who will either tell you that it is too small a job for them, or they will try to price you out of it as a way to dismiss you.

Hopefully you dont have to deal with that. Personally, I dont understand that mentality. Money is money, work is work. I've built my business and made a decent living off of jobs that were "too small" for other shops.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.