Tankless water heater

1,258 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Whitetail
wisdom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tankless water stopped working. So I need to look at the thing but can't figure out how to remove the cover. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Long Live Sully
AG
That is a Rinnai unit. Pry up at the bottom with a flat blade screw driver. Might need two to get it to stay up. One towards each corner. The cover will go up into the housing at the top and you can pull it out at the bottom and it will then slide down.
wisdom
AG
I'll try it ...... thanks much.
Long Live Sully
AG
Welcome.. It won't want to lift up if it has been awhile since it was opened. I would check that it has 110v to the controller first.
wisdom
AG
I got the cover off. Thanks for the help with that. Now. Any material concerning the location of fuse? Thanks
Long Live Sully
AG
The gray wire ( size of an round extension cord ) should be your 110v line. See where that connects to the control board. You may have a fuse there. The water heater likely is on its own breaker. Do you know if it does?

Also turn on a hot valve somewhere and then come out to the unit. Does it come on? You will hear the burner.
wisdom
AG
The thing stopped heating and the controller went blank. Someone said it is likely a blown fuse. Now I am looking for the fuse. I really appreciate your help.

Long Live Sully
AG
Ok.. under that clear cover on the right is your control board. The brown / tan wire is the 110 line. CAREFULLY remove the cover on the right and use a test meter to see if you have voltage coming into the board. If you don't your breaker may be tripped.

If you do, then cut off the breaker so you can look for any fuses.
Long Live Sully
AG
Also those white semi translucent inline fuse holders that are to the left of the control board are where there will be some fuses.
wisdom
AG
I took the fuses out of the inline fuse holders .....they look OK (unfortunately).
Long Live Sully
AG
And you have 110v present?

Also do you have a panel inside where you can adjust the temp?
Long Live Sully
AG
And there may be fuses on the control board.
wisdom
AG
Inside is the Rinnai controller ....it is blank. The first thing we did was throw all the switches in the breaker box but none were tripped. We don't know which circuit the water heater is on because no switch is labeled with "water heater" and the control panel was blank.
I don't think I can get to the control board to look for fuses. I'm not sure I want to start taking everything apart. We will need to have a professional come over. I was hoping to DYI ....but I don't see I can go any further.
I really (really) appreciate your help.
Long Live Sully
AG
You are welcome. I have a good plumber if you are in the hill country. Call Rinnai and they will find someone for you. Good luck.

Sorry..
Whitetail
AG
I have a fuse panel in my garage and one outside my house in another panel near my meter. For the longest time I didn't know of the outside panels existence.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.